AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

source arrow

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
april_herr
361 Views, 9 Replies

source arrow

I am trying to modify the from/to source arrow blocks.  I am not able to save or create a new block from these files.  I've tried saving as something else, etc.  I have had some save problems in the past, so I'm not sure if this is an extension of that.  Should I be able to modify text in those files?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
testsubject
in reply to: april_herr

Most definitely. You should be having no problem with saving these. They are normal ACAD dwg files.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 10
april_herr
in reply to: testsubject

This is so strange because I can copy and save the file as many times as I want, until I modify it.  I build the block and it seems to work just fine, but if I insert after closing block editor,nothing has changed and the file is not in my directory.

Last time I was having save problems, we finally came to the conclusion I didn't have the correct permissions.  After that was taken care of, I didn't have any more problems until now.  This is SO frustrating!  Any advice would be welcome!

By the way, I have checked my permissions and all is well  Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 10
testsubject

Wait a minute. Are you using the block editor to do this? I would recommend that you just copy the source drawing you are trying to modify and change it like you would a regular .dwg file because that is all it is. I do not like using Block Editor because of this very reason; you thought you made a change to the block but in reality, it is probably only changing the block locally in the drawing you have it located in.

Then when you insert a source arrow, go to the folder that the new dwg is located in and insert that.

Try that and see if it works. We can go on from there if you are successful.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 5 of 10
april_herr

Ok, I modified the dwg, but I'm unsure how to get the source arrow from that file.  Do I just insert as a regular block without using the source arrow tool?

Message 6 of 10
testsubject

April,

Okay now when you go to insert a Source/destination, youu can override the project defaults and select the Signal Arrow Style on the right hand side of hte dialog box. I should have told you earlier to rename the new source code and replace the number ( if I was using Arrow style 1 the old name would be HA1S4 and the new name would be HA6S4).

The 6 corresponds to the 6th arrow style. The arrow styles 6-9 are for user use to modify as you see fit.

Everything should work like you are used after this.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 10
april_herr

Awesome! That works great! Smiley Very Happy

Next question:  I am re doing all of the symbols and blocks to look like what we use here.  It has been quite the undertaking, but I feel like my organization needs help.  I eventually want to use the new library only, but is that going to mess with any of the commands? 

Thanks for all your help!  I couldn't have done 1/4 of what I've accomplished without this discussion board!

April

Message 8 of 10
testsubject

Not really. As long as you use the same names for the new components and locate them in the new folder I told you to set up earlier, it should be pretty seamless. When you go to insert a part, it will get it from the new folder first if it exists there and if it doesn't it will then "roll" down to the next folder in the project properties unitl it finds the symbol.

If you want to stick with the "1" styles, move your new source/destination code dwgs to the company specific folder and leave the names the same.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 9 of 10
april_herr

My next question concerns the tb blocks we use in the panel layout.  In the "panel" folder that came with the software, all the tb's are named "ut4", "uk10", etc and I don't see part numbers anywhere.  How will the BOM recognize those names?  I set up a panel layout and the BOM just has PHOENIX as the MFG but no part number.  As a company, we set up blocks named by the part number.  How should I go about doing this? 

Message 10 of 10
april_herr

I just started to tweak the files provided for tb's and I came across one I can't find.  It is a ut4 gnd.  If I do a catalog lookup, I find it and can insert the block.  I would like to redo that file. The block name is PNLAC9B.  I have done a search and not found this file.  If I insert a second one, the block name is PNL9BB.  How do I get this to be like the other parts?  I'm sure this isn't going to be the only one I have trouble with...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost