AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNAP MODE

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dianamichelle33
780 Views, 8 Replies

SNAP MODE

What are the disadvantages to not using the "Snap Mode" in Electrical? Aside from neatness of the schematic. I have some sheets that were done by another draftsperson that didn't have the Snap turned on and to go back and fix it will be very time consuming. So I'm wondering if it's really even necessary to use it at all?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sonny3g
in reply to: dianamichelle33

Necessary, no.  Efficient, yes.  This is a common problem with co-ops and new to ACADE users.  Using the snaps does more than just make the drawing "neat".  It also increases efficiency by helping attach wires quicker and keeping networks connected.  By this I mean that wires are properly landed on terminal points and wire network connections. 

On drawings that did not utilize the snap feature I frequently have problems with wire numbers not following through properly or wire lines not being broken by a device.  It is especially annoying to have to trace back multiple sheets to find out where a wire circuit missed a landing on a terminal and caused an invalid wire number change.

So, again it is not necessary, but it is efficient to use snap in ACADE.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 3 of 9
jalger

Hi Diana,

As Scott said its great for placing components and creating clean drawings.

Just make sure when you are editing components that you turn off snap mode.

(snap mode makes it really hard to select components, text, and attributes to edit) 

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 4 of 9
ccad2509
in reply to: sonny3g

been down that long twisty road where someone else has not used the snap

Message 5 of 9
jalger
in reply to: sonny3g

Hi Diana,

You could use the "Nearest" Object snap and the align tool, since it works just as well.

(but it makes it very hard for people using snap  mode to work on your drawing)

The Plus side is if someone started the drawing without snaps you don't have to throw it out, since you can edit it with the object snaps instead.

Both options have positives and nagitives. (Scott mentioned snap mode is more efficent, and it can be, once you adopt the methodology)

In the end, its a matter of what works best for you and your clients.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 6 of 9

Thanks everybody. I assumed I would have to go back and fix this with the snap mode turned on, I just wanted to be sure it was totally necessary before wasting my time. Ugh Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 9
jalger

Hi Diana,

To fix the drawing I would just use "move component" with "Nearest" turned on.

It should snap to the wire, so even if the drawing is not matched up with the snap mode the drawing will still work.

Or If you want it fixed 100% give the drawing to a junior designer and let them go at it. 🙂

No way I would go back through a drawing set to set it back to grid snap positions, once the damage is done its best to move to object snaps.

The wires snap to the connection points anyway so as longs as the wire connections are right I wouldn't worry about the Grid snap points (unless your client specifically asked for them that way).

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 8 of 9
sonny3g
in reply to: jalger

Diana,

James is right, when I run into a drawing like the ones you are describing it is way too time consuming to convert everything to a grid/snap placement.  Instead, like James, I just use the object snaps to fix any broken links.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 9 of 9

Scott and James have advised you well. I will only add that if you leave SNAPGRIDLEGACY set to 0, you will be able to select components or wires for editing without having to turn snap off. This is the default setting since introduced in 2012. Snap will still engage, once a command is clicked, but stays out of the way otherwise, so you can make selections that might not be on snap.

Note: Nate Holt doesn't like snap, so he created the software to use the wire trap concept, just in case we got a bit sloppy while not using snap. The wire connection will still be made, if you get close. It might not look pretty but the connection is made nonetheless. Other programs require snap at all times. I prefer snap, because, as Scott and James pointed out, it makes the drawing look neat and helps with alignment.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost