AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Single Point, Multi-Terminal PLC Blocks vs PLC I/O Wire Numbering

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
automationstar
852 Views, 7 Replies

Single Point, Multi-Terminal PLC Blocks vs PLC I/O Wire Numbering

I am setting up PLC I/O blocks to be single point with multiple terminals as shown below.

It appears that the first row of terminals picks up the PLC address (see wires numbered Old_Local:1:0.Ch0Data & Old_Local:1:0.Ch0DataA below)

This appears to be outside the scope of the help files since there are no published rules (that I can find) regarding what it is actually doing in this case.

Any way to change this?

I was hoping that wire 2066 would pick up the address Old_Local:1:0.Ch0Data and that Old_Local:1:0.Ch0DataA would get the next sequenced wire number.

plcio.jpg

The best I can think of for a work around is to stagger the left side and right side terminals so that only terminal C34 picks up a PLC address, but then also re-sequnece the terminals so that the actual I/O signal is always on top.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

A.S.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I am not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do. It sounds like you want a symbol that has multiple addresses and that the wires connected take on the PLC address? More like a PLC full unit?

If that is the case then you just need to follow the attribute naming convention when you make  your symbol. You may not be able to use Symbol Builder for this. Open the .dwg for the symbol and copy the attributes for the one address to create the multiple address on your symbol. Copy the wire connection attribute, X#ERM01, the terminal attribute, TERM01, and the address, TAGA01. Increment them all to 02, X#TERM02, TERM02, TAGA02. Do this for each address incrementing the suffix each time. For the wire connection attributes just make sure to substitute the right number for the # depending on which direction the wire will come from.

1: wire connects to the attribute from the right
2: wire connects to the attribute from above
4: wire connects to the attribute from the left
8: wire connects to the attribute from below

Once you add more than one address it is treated like a full unit module as far as which dialog is used when editing the symbol after it is placed. In other words, it isn't considered a single point I/O.

If I misunderstood what you are trying to do can you provide the symbol itself and a little more detail on what it currently does and what you want it to do?

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development ā€“ AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8

Pat,

Thanks for the response.  Sorry my OP was not clear.

So here is what I am doing:

I have a 16 point PLC module that has 50+ terminals on it (Allen Bradley 1794-IA16 with a TB3 terminal base, see page 3 of attached).

I want to have seperate block for each point (single point I/O blocks with terminal numbers), one for each point.

Each I/O point will be shown on a seperate drawing.

On the first I/O point (block #1 - shown on top in original post):

1) I want it to contain the part information

2) Show I/O wiring for the first i/o point only

3) Show power to the module

4 clarification of terminals:

a) +Signal

b) -Signal

c) Shield

d) +12v

e) -12V

On #2-15 I/O points (block #2):

1) Show I/O wiring for points #2-15 (each insertable on seperate drawings)

2 clarification of terminals:

a) +Signal

b) -Signal

c) Shield

On the last I/O point (block #3 - shown on bottom in original post):

1) Show I/O wiring for the last i/o point

2) Show power from the module (used to daisychain modules)

3 clarification of terminals:

a) +Signal

b) -Signal

c) Shield

d) +12v

e) -12V

I can use the WD_Picklist.MDB file to utilize the TXTVAL field to populate the terminal numbers since the pinlist function wont work for this i dont think.

Wire Numbering is set in the drawing properties to look for a PLC address.  This is working - It finds my PLC block with all the attributes filled in from the picklist.

The problem is: it assigns a wire number reflective of the PLC address to all wires on the first row of terminals of the block, incrimenting them with a letter if there are more than one.  I want it to assign that PLC address to a wire that is NOT connected on the first row of terminals.  It would seem that there is no method of controlling which wire it assigns the PLC wire number to, other than that it has to be on the first wired connection to the block.

Message 4 of 8

The wire number that matches the PLC address will be on the wire that has the wire connection attribute with the same suffix as the address tag attribute. So the address tag attribute is TAGA01 so the wire you want to carry that address name that wire connection attribute X#TERM01 and the terminal attribute TERM02. Then for the other wire connections increment the suffix but don't place any more address tag attributes. These wires should get regular wire numbers. It should not matter where they are in the symbol.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8

Pat,

No offense, but gramatically, I am not sure I understand what you just said.

The tag for the connection point that I want the wire to pick up the plc address is "X4TERM02L" 

The PLC address is "TAGA01"

Maybe this image will help?

block attributes.jpg

term attributes.jpg

Message 6 of 8

Got it - changed PLC Address attribute from TAGA01 to TAGA02, now the second row of terminals picks it up instead
Message 7 of 8

Changed TAGA01 to TAGA02, now the second terminal picks it up.. Thanks Pat

Message 8 of 8

I am not sure how AutoCAD Electrical will react with the symbol if it has a TAGA02 and not a TAGA01. I think it would be better to have the attribute TAGA01 and change the row 2 attributes to have the 01 suffix and the row 1 attributes to use 02. That way the DESCA01, DESCB01 etc. will be related to that address. You want to use the 01 with all the attributes that you want related to the address. I don't think it would matter if your row 1 of attributes use the 02 suffix.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost