AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal References

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ocean1
427 Views, 5 Replies

Signal References

With assistance I've received here, I'm reasonably comfortable with putting signal names on drawings, there are so many options. My next challenge is getting them on reports. I don't see the connector XREFs or Desc in the Change Report Format dialog box.

What I want is a report that says A1J/P1 has Signal 001 and goes to A2P/J1.

The intent is to give the board designers their interfaces so they can design the boards.

I've attached a simple .dwg, if there are better ways to achieve graphically and report wise, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: ocean1

If you're NOT using wire numbers for anything else, I guess you could use the wire numbers as a signal name, and run the fron/to report like this:

2014-12-14_22-20-03.png

Or maybe you can use a cable marker, where the "color" is the signal name instead, and then run the cable from/to report?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 6
drathak
in reply to: rhesusminus

I have to agree with the cable route.  Since that is probably a ribbon cable or some sort of cable between the connectors, it needs to be defined too.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 4 of 6
ocean1
in reply to: drathak

My apologies for not replying earlier, I had gone on to other aspects of the job.

I'm reluctant to monkey with the signal names. After I am through, I pass the dwg on to other designers who do the wire and cable specification work.

For signal names, I've opted to use the TERMDESCnnJ XREF. It looks nice on the drawings for the reviews and stays out of the way oof the folks who do the work. When I  figure out the database aspect, I can dump into the lower level configuration item specifications and upper level requirements.

I've attached a sample of the work and what I'd like to see. What I'd like is a report that correlates the signal names with their associated connector pins. I'd expect to see a field in the report options named TERMDESC that I can add as a column, but I don't see it. I'm using ACE2012 on my work computer.

If it's not report material, I can pull it out of the project database if I knew where it was. The ACE2012 help shows a path through the tool menu palette, but I do not see anything under the tool menu that says database.

Thanks for any assistance and Happy Holidays, particularly to those of you working the forum today!

Message 5 of 6
ocean1

Success! Using the Connect Wire List Report and some format discipline my listing needs are met. It had gotten to the point where I had considered detailing an intern to read my beautifully wrought diagrams and copying the term descriptions into an Excel database. I have another question regarding database editing, but I will start a new thread. I learn something every day here. Thanks!
Message 6 of 6
bkruseLKDD3

Thanks for posting your solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost