AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing a Fan out only

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jdifazio
618 Views, 5 Replies

Showing a Fan out only

Hi All,

What is the best way to show a cable pigtail?  I tried the Fan in/fan out but that does not give me quite the result I am looking for.  I want to show a single cable connection on one side and then "fan out" to show the individual wires going to terminal.  By the way I am using ACADE 2012.  Thanks in advance.

Jason.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dougmcalexander
in reply to: jdifazio

The Fan-in/Fan-out feature should work for you.  I use it to document cables and their associated cores.  There is an explanation of my method at www.ecadconsulltant.com on the Tips/Tricks page, or click the following link: http://ecadconsultant.com/tips.html#Fan_In_Fan_Out

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 6
jdifazio
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks Doug.  That worked just fine.  Appreciate the help.

Jason.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

We are looking for a work around for an issue that Autodesk says is not possible now.  We have cables that have a pigtail (wires) on one end only, and on the other end is the cable that connects to a component.  We normally do not use any connector symbol, rather just connect the cable end to a terminal point.  The problem is that we cannot get a cable from/to report because there are only source codes on the fan in wires and no fan our wires to add the destination (matching) codes.  Any thoughts on how we can draw these types of cables and get a from/to report?  Thanks, Warren

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Jason,

I have the same situation regarding a cable that we show as a single connection on one end, and numerous wires on the other end.  It could be up to 8 wires within the cable.  I followed Doug's method using the fan in/out method, and it really does not give me what I am after.  I do not understand how the fan in/out can work, because I only have the (source) codes on the one end, and the other end would not have any destination codes for the fan in/out to relate to.

I am trying to get an accurate from/to report that shows one pin connection on one end and numerous pin connections on the bare wire ends.  Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!  I have contacted Autodesk support, and have not yet had the results I am looking for.

Regards,

Warren Reimer

Message 6 of 6
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

If you want to show the  Black wire going to Pin 1 of a connector, you will have to draw it that way. I show all my pins on a connector for just this reason.

I redraw the component symbol to include a plug/socket graphic and place the X?term## on the ends of these. Then I assign colors to the wires coming of fthe pins and assign the cable part number to the cable marker.

The parts in Blue are the Cable Marker symbols (Parent/Children) and the part in red is the Camera Light symbol with a 5 pin connector. Even though technically the receptacle part is part of the cable, the wiring works better when I made it part of the Light. I have been doiing all my parts that have a connector like this and ACE has no problem generating the Wire TO/From report.

Part-Cable.png

Here is what the report looks like:

WIRENO  LOC1  CMP1     PIN1  CBLWC  LOC2  CMP2  PIN2   WLAY1          
------  ----  -------  ----  -----  ----  ----  -----  ------------   
200.6   +UH1  -350EA1  1     BN     +UH1  -X1   200.6  CABLE-OUTSIDE  
350.1   +UH1  -350EA1  2     WH     +UH1  -X1   350.1  CABLE-OUTSIDE  
200.3   +UH1  -350EA1  3     BU     +UH1  -X1   200.3  CABLE-OUTSIDE  
350.2   +UH1  -350EA1  4     BK     +UH1  -X1   350.2  CABLE-OUTSIDE  
        +UH1  -350EA1  5     xx     +UH1  -X1          CABLE-OUTSIDE  

This is my opinion but sometimes you have to change the way you are used to doing things to take full advantage of the automated processes that are available from ACE.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost