AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEND PANEL FOOTPRINT TO BACKGROUND?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1610 Views, 12 Replies

SEND PANEL FOOTPRINT TO BACKGROUND?

So I would like to insert the mitsubishi base unit that my I/O sits on into my panel layout.  However, the base and the components ofcourse over lap and it just looks like a mess.  Is there a way to send the base unit to the background and only have the parts visible that don't overlap with the footprints of the I/O devices?

I hope this makes sense....

Thanks for any help!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
david_brude
in reply to: Anonymous

From the command line type draworder then follow the prompts.

From the pull-down menu Tools>Draw Order>Send to back etc.

Regards,

Dave Brude

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: david_brude

Thanks Dave,

I have tried that several times actually and it seems to have no affect on the appearance of my drawing.

I have attached an image to show you what it looks like.  You will see that the base unit extends beyond the I/O devices (PM1-PM8).  The text and devices are hard to see becuase of the base unit.  I would like for the parts that extend after the I/O devices to be visible and the parts under the devices to be invisible.  Maybe what I want isn't possible?

At the command prompt I type DRAWORDER.  I then select the base unit.  Then it prompts me to select front/back, etc.  After that it prompts me to select reference objects and this is where I select all of the I/O devices.  Then I hit enter and nothing seems to happen.

Message 4 of 13
david_brude

okay nayettaj ,

A picture is worth a thousand words. Do your panel symbols have wipeouts? If not you need to add them.

Regards,

David

Message 5 of 13
dougmcalexander

You need to open the I/O footprints for editing and assign a Wipeout region using the Wipeout command.  Wipeout defines the area of one symbol that should hide graphical elements beneath it.  Save the symbol when finished.  Drawing Order only works if a Wipeout region is already assigned and saved in the block.  Once inserted into your drawing, your footprint should hide any geometry beneath it.  If not select your symbol and Click Bring to Front from the Draw Order menu.

Note: You may notice that some of the supplied terminal block symbols from Autodesk automatically hide the DIN rail.  This is because whoever prepared those particular terminal block footprints was kid enough to assign a Wipeout region while they were at it.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 13

P.S. I noticed as I clicked Post that David Brude already gave you the answer.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Ohhh okay yea my footprints definitely don't have wipeout regions. 

I will add them and hopefully everything will be fine after that.

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Okay guys, so I edited the footprint and added the wipeout using polylines.  The problem that I am having is that I just have the frame of the wipeout showing and not the device.  I attached an image so you can see exactly what I mean.  I was having trouble getting wipeout to work on this footprint at all so I edited a different one and inserted it and had no problems.  It showed up fine. (I then realized I needed to purge the other one, etc.) So I know it can work.  I did the exact same thing to both footprints and only one is working correctly.

A little help please 😕

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

I would also like to add that now for some reason it's inserting the footprint completely invisible.  😞  I can't even see it anymore. LOL  This is getting worse and worse.  Idk what I've done. 

Message 10 of 13
david_brude

When working with your panel symbol drawing you need to remember to send the wipeout to the back before saving the block otherwise it will blank out your geometry.

Steps

Open panel footprint drawing.

Add your wipeout following the outline of the object.

Send to Back the wipeout entitly.

Save the drawing

Insert into your panel drawing.

Regards,

David Brude

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: david_brude

Thanks so much David.  I had to recreate the footprint and do the wipeout again because for some reason it was always inserting as invisible and I had no clue how to fix that.  Sending the wipeout to the back worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Message 12 of 13
Icemanau

Start to do a wipeout but instead of clicking the first point, hit 'F' on the keyboard. this brings up the setting for fram visibility. On turns the frame on and OFF turns it off. Note that the dwg you are inserting into will overide any frame settings in a block, so if the frame is not showing up when inserted, turn the frame visibility on in the main drawing.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
jthibedeau5AVAL

Thanks everyone! Same problem, solution worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost