AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCHEMATIC COMPONENT SEARCH PATH

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
AcadE2014
1083 Views, 5 Replies

SCHEMATIC COMPONENT SEARCH PATH

Hello All,

I have an issue inserting new symbol blocks on old drawings.

When I insert a symbol it automatically inserts the same symbol as whats already on the drawing and not the new modified one. I.E. if a relay is on the drawing and I add another relay it will put in the same symbol as what is on the drawing and not what is in the symbol library now.

I understand this is what it is suppose to do but short of deleting the symbol, purging the drawing and them putting the symbols back in I cannot add the modified symbol.

If you right click on the active project and go to settings, on the bottom is there is a insert schematic component block search path sequence.

I need to move the current library to the top.

Is there a way to change this sequence????

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dennis

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: AcadE2014

First of all, to change the search sequence, check the projects properties:

2014-12-14_21-16-26.png

To update the instances for a symbol already inserted, you can use the swap/update block tool:

2014-12-14_21-18-51.png

2014-12-14_21-19-55.png

Press OK, and select the block to update. AcadE will now try to locate the new version of this block. It wil default to the first one it finds. If you have similarly named blocks in your symbol libraries, you can browse for the correct symbol, or change the search order (as describe on top of this post) before you run the command.

Check that the different options are correct and chosse wether to make this change for the entire project or only for the active drawing.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 6
AcadE2014
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thank for your responce

I know that I can update the blocks but I am looking for a way to modify the search sequence if it is possible.

I have the desired folder at the top of both the project properties--project setting--schematic librairies

and the system tools--options--support file search path

the project setting --insert schematic component--block search path sequence is as follows:

Drawing itself

Full path when full path\symbol DWG name is used

Active project

User Subdirectory

Insert schematic component (default dialog path) ***this is the folder I need to move to the top***

There has to be something that is dictating this order. Is it a LSP? A SCR? A MNL? Something has to tell it to look in this order?

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

Dennis

Message 4 of 6
rhesusminus

The only place you can specify a search order for schematic symbols, are in the project properties, not the settings.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 6
jalger

Hi Dennis,

The Default "Insert exisiting block form the Drawing First" Is hard coded in.

I don't think there is a way to change that without a great deal of effort digging through dll files.

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 6 of 6
wszczep1

Dennis,

Did you check the WD.env file setting?  If there is a path specified there then the order specified in your Options menu is ignored.  Just add an "*" if it is and see if that helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost