AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
Justin2012
Message 11 of 13 (70 Views)

Re: Scaling

04-30-2012 05:19 AM in reply to: johnq

Your previous email was I am not drawing on a grid. What are your recommended apprpoach to use a grip and is there a standard on the grid spacings?

*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 12 of 13 (68 Views)

04-30-2012 06:43 AM in reply to: Justin2012

Run the Update/Retag utility, found on the Project menu tab.

Scaling is not a requirement of Electrical.  The original designer wanted it that way.  Electrical takes advantage of something called a trap distance to ensure that wire connections are made, so long as you get close to a connection point.  I started on a program from Europe that required snap, so I am accustomed to it.  But it does help keep my drawings in perfect alignment.  You see, even though Electrical will connect wires between components if you get within the trap distance of the wire connections, if the components are not within perfect alignment, the wires will bend somewhat to compensate.  I suggest using snap with a fine setting.  I also use 100% crosshairs so I can check the alignment between components, wires, balloons, etc.  I just like my drawings to be neat, aligned, and organized.

Let me address the base point of components.  The reason it is set for the middle, and inline with wire connections, is to allow Electrical to interchange between the vertically-wired or horizontally-wired versions of the symbols as you insert them onto wires.  Electrical will appear to rotate a symbol if you try to insert a horizontally-wired symbol onto a vertical wire.  It actually swaps the symbol using the base point as a sort of rotational axis.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
Distinguished Contributor
Justin2012
Message 13 of 13 (63 Views)

04-30-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: dougmcalexander

I agree with you. I will like my drawings to be on a define grid (is there a grid spacing standard?), aligned, neat and organized . Do you have an example of these that I can follow?

Thanks again.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.