AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Justin2012
928 Views, 12 Replies

Scaling

Hey I posted the below and haven't had any assistance. Please pardon me if the the below question is so easy. I am wokring on a class project and currently stock. Please help. Thanks! :

I am new to this software and I will kindly appreciate your assistance. Where is the HTG112 symbol in a closed top position located or do i need to use symbol builder? Also, how can i increase the size of my drawings icons without messing anything? Lastly, what settings do i need to change to make the moving and copying of components to snap at the center?

Thanks,

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
johnq
in reply to: Justin2012

Hi Justin

On my machine ACE2012 the symbol HTG112 is in the JIC125 library.

I have only 18 months using ACE,  my humble understanding is that the only wAy to change the snap point you describe (  ie the point that moved a symbol)   is to redraw everything and move the insertion point.

I ponder why you need to do this.  I assume you are drawing on a grid.  This programme seems to require a grid which at first is awkward after a previous program I used, did not demand a grid.

I do find some of the insertion points generic rather than practical.

I started with A1 drawings and print A3 and regret it.   It has caused some problems that scalling the data base has not resolved.

Hope this helps  johnq

Some of my predecessore scalled the paper to suite the circuit  then printed A3.  This has been a challenge.

Message 3 of 13
Justin2012

Thanks for the response.

I understand the symbol is located in the JIC125 file and is a NO-SPDT. My question is how to generate a NC-SPDT symbol without using symbol builder?

How do you suggest or what settings do I need to implement to change the location of the insertion point when moving components?

So what you are saying is I cannot increase the scale of my drawing?I had to zoom when working on a schematic. Also, the schematic is very samll when I print(11 x 17) it.

Thanks and waiitng for your assistance

Justin

Message 4 of 13

You should not change the base point of your symbols.  There are two versions of each symbol, one for vertically-oriented wires and one for horizontally-oriented.  The base point is set to the center so the software can interchange the symbols as necessary, according to the orientation of the wire where you insert the symbol.

The toggle switch symbols that are included match the ANSI standard, but what you are looking can easily be created.  I copied the HTG112 file and renamed the copy to HTG112NC. I then edited the symbol with plain AutoCAD, gripped the wiper and moved it to make it appear as a toggle switch that is in a normally-closed state. I have attached the symbol.

Are you perhaps looking for a Form-C relay contact (a.k.a. Changeover contact or a.k.a. SPDT relay contact) instead.  That is available in one of the IEC libraries.  I have also created equivalent symbols for the JIC125 library.  I have attached a zip file with the 4 variations of a Changeover/Form-C/SPDT relay contact.  Since each of these has an equivalent IEC version, the library swap will precisely interchange them.

If you wish to scale the symbols automatically on insert, set the Feature Scale Multiplier to an appropriate setting.  The FSM is found on the last tab of Drawing Settings.  You could set it to 2 to scale everything up twice, or you could set to 0.5 to scale everything by one-half.  I do not recommend attempting to scale inches to metric or vice versa using the FSM as this can cause issues with the wire trap distance, resulting in strange wire network numbering.  Hint: Set the Feature Scale Multiplier in your Electrical drawing template so each new drawing you start will already have it set.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 13
Justin2012

I understand it is not recommended to change the base point settings but if I run into a situation where the snap point is not user friendly can you tell me how I can change it before resettiing it back to the default setting? 

I changed the FSM to 2.0 on a current schemtic but no effect? Can you suggest what might be the issue?

Thanks again.

Justin 

Message 6 of 13

Electrical doesn't require snap, unlike the other software I've used, but I do highly recommend using snap so wires don't need to bend in order to match up to connection points.  You can set snap to a small setting if you wish but I recommend using snap.  I use 0.0625 for ladder diagrams and 1.25 for IEC metric style.

The FSM affects symbols as they are inserted.  If you have already inserted symbols on a drawing they won't be changed simply by changing the FSM value.  Another approach is to scale the library folder.  I recommend copying the folder to a new name so you always have the original to to go back to if needed.  I have a copy of the IEC4 library renamed to IEC_024.  I ran the Modify Symbol Library utility and scaled by 0.024 so the IEC symbols would fit a B sheet nicely.  There is a scale field on the Icon Menu but it only scales component symbols, not features.  Features are symbols that you don't insert but are handled by the software.  These are symbols like node dots and angled tees.  The software also controls the offset distance when you start an additional wire from a component that already has one wire connected.  A FSM setting higher than 1 increases the offset while a value less than 1 decreases it.  I don't really concern myself with that offset but I just point out that it is another of te features managed by the FSM.  The FSM is powerful because it scales features and symbols as they are inserted.  Scaling to entire library accomplishes the same thing and you can leave the FSM set to 1.0.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 7 of 13
Justin2012

Lets say you insert a fuse into a schematic and now want to attach/copy it to different wires. The picking point on the fuse is at the center.My question is if I want the selection point not to be on the center but on the front how will you recommend me doing that? Also I created a symbol and as I want to insert it to the schematic(base point is correct) it snaps further away from my schematic. Am I doing something wrong or what do you suggest?

I think changing the scale on the library will be best for me. What steps or how will I approach doing this? I want to be very careful so as not to mess up anything that's why I am asking.

Thanks again,

Justin

Message 8 of 13
johnq

Hi Justin

If I read you correctly, it seems that you are not drawing on a grid.  If you are please excuse me for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

ELECDES is another electrical drawing package that I used for some time and runs on top of Generic AutoCAD.  It does not demand the use of a grid.

So when my employer changed to ACE, a grid is almost manditory and for me it was difficult to come to grips with the grid concept.

Initally I found it restrictive but many features in ACE work due to the grid.

Once learnt the snap points of the standard supplied blocks it works well and moving the text to suite is easier than trying to change the insertion point of standard parts.

When I draw my special blocks I set the insertion point to suit the componant.

Symbol Builder is quite intricate but very good and flexable once the inital barriers are understood.

Cheers  jq

Message 9 of 13

I need some help...When I rescale a drawing the components line reference numbers of course changes. Is there way that this software can automatically update all the line reference and changes?  I am currently stock and don't want to redo the entire schematic.

Please assist . Thanks.

Message 10 of 13
Justin2012

I just realize that a coil for some reason is referencing a wrong line reference #. I don't know what I've done for this to be happening. How can I update all parent-child relationship or all changes done in a schematic so the components and line referencing is correct?.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 13
Justin2012
in reply to: johnq

Your previous email was I am not drawing on a grid. What are your recommended apprpoach to use a grip and is there a standard on the grid spacings?

Message 12 of 13

Run the Update/Retag utility, found on the Project menu tab.

Scaling is not a requirement of Electrical.  The original designer wanted it that way.  Electrical takes advantage of something called a trap distance to ensure that wire connections are made, so long as you get close to a connection point.  I started on a program from Europe that required snap, so I am accustomed to it.  But it does help keep my drawings in perfect alignment.  You see, even though Electrical will connect wires between components if you get within the trap distance of the wire connections, if the components are not within perfect alignment, the wires will bend somewhat to compensate.  I suggest using snap with a fine setting.  I also use 100% crosshairs so I can check the alignment between components, wires, balloons, etc.  I just like my drawings to be neat, aligned, and organized.

Let me address the base point of components.  The reason it is set for the middle, and inline with wire connections, is to allow Electrical to interchange between the vertically-wired or horizontally-wired versions of the symbols as you insert them onto wires.  Electrical will appear to rotate a symbol if you try to insert a horizontally-wired symbol onto a vertical wire.  It actually swaps the symbol using the base point as a sort of rotational axis.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 13

I agree with you. I will like my drawings to be on a define grid (is there a grid spacing standard?), aligned, neat and organized . Do you have an example of these that I can follow?

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost