AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Romans.shx TextStyle looks and plots differently than normal

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
hbohm
10218 Views, 6 Replies

Romans.shx TextStyle looks and plots differently than normal

One of the computers in our CAD department displays romans.shx font differently than all the other computers. It looks as if it's "thinner" than normal. Our titleblock uses romans.shx as it's primary font. When we plot a drawing from that computer the titleblock text comes out really light almost unreadable. I can open that same drawing on my computer and it appears normal, and plots just fine. I attached screenshots from my computer and the computer in question. 

I have tested different fonts on the computer in question and it appears to be limited to the just romans.shx font. I have checked layers, color tables, printer settings, everything that I can come up with. There has to be a setting that is making the romans.shx font appear this way. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: hbohm

You didn't say if the romans.shx file was the same on both machines.

I've seen this display problem (Windows ClearText setting can affect this), but that would not translate to a plot.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 7
hbohm
in reply to: rkmcswain

I forgot to mention that I did try to copy my romans.shx file over to the other computer. I restarted AutoCAD, and even rebooted the computer to no avail.

Message 4 of 7
hbohm

I just wanted to update my thread with the solution to my issue. I found that the "romans.shx" text was being substituted with "romans__.ttf" even though romans.shx was in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Fonts directory. Here is what I saw when I opened a drawing that contained any romans.shx text:

Font Substitutions.jpg

The computer wasn't reading it for some reason. So I went to the C:\Windows\Fonts directory and deleted the romans__.ttf font, which is the lightest/thinnest of the three romans truetype fonts. The other two were called "romans_IV25.ttf" & "romans_IV50.ttf". I reopened ACADE and it seemed to have substituted romans.shx for Arial.ttf at first. So I closed and reopened again, and it finally stopped substituting for a truetype font and used romans.shx. Hopefully this won't happen again, but at least I learned a little more about how ACAD handles fonts.

Message 5 of 7
rkmcswain

With all of those substitutes being made, it sure feels like AutoCAD could not find those SHX files - for whatever reason.

For future reference, there is a table on the page below that defines what AutoCAD does (and in what order) when a certain font cannot be found.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-928DF015-1E04-4CC2-AF1B-0037548DFBAE

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 7
testsubject
in reply to: rkmcswain

I just tried switching from ACE 2014 to 2015 and noticed the same problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I just emptied out the acade.fmp file and the problem went away.

I discovered that I was not using it in 2014.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 7
sokbsek

Thank you for posting this because I was having the same problem and this fixed it! You're a lifesave Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost