AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resequence Item numbers causes scripting through every drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
metal_pro2
490 Views, 4 Replies

Resequence Item numbers causes scripting through every drawing

I am using Ver 2013. I haven't used Autocad Electric for a couple of years as I was using Eplan and unfortunately I have forgot a lot of things about Autocad electric.

Here is my problem: When I do a "Resequence item numbers" and select Active drawing every drawing in the project is subsequently processed. In my project of 450 drawing this takes a long time. I do not remember this happening when I used to do this in Ver 2008 a couple years ago. Item Numbering Mode is set to "Reset with each Drawing"

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hbohm
in reply to: metal_pro2

I have been wondering about this too. I don't see a need for AutoCAD to go through the entire project set if the change only pertains to 10 or less schematic drawings for that specific panel layout drawing.

Example:

I have one panel called CP-101, it has one panel drawing (M02) and five schematic drawings (E01-E05). If I run the Resequence Item Number command, it should only have to look at the M02 & E01-E05 drawings to change the item numbers. So why does it page through the entire project list of 100+ drawings?

Message 3 of 5
testsubject
in reply to: hbohm

I think that with ACE 2012, the item numbers are now present in the schematics. So now when you do an item number resequence, the software checks all drawings for possible instances of the items in the drawing you are resequencing so it can update those also..

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 5
marshallw
in reply to: metal_pro2

Have you tried selecting "Project" in the "Resequence Item Numbers" dialog box? After you click "OK", this will bring up the "Select Drawings to Process" dialog box, from which you can pick only the drawings you want to resequence.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor Certified Instructor
Message 5 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: marshallw

Prior to release 2013 AutoCAD Electrical only resequenced item numbers on panel layout drawings. It would not back annotate the schematic, thus it was possible to have different item number assignments between the schematic drawings and the panel layout drawings.  The complaints were heard and Autodesk responded.  The Resequence Item Numbers utility will start with the panel drawings and resequence the item numbers in order of the manufacturer names.  It then back annotates the related schematic components so their item numbers match those in the panel layout.  

I have discovered one flaw.  The item numbers are assigned alphabetically by manufacturer but in the order that the manufacturer's parts appear in the panel layout drawings, thus it is possible to see Eaton buttons and lights on the front panel drawing assigned lower numbers, while AB components on the next drawing will be assigned a higher number.  Also, if parts from the same manufacturer appear on more than one drawing, the item number assignments might even be split up, thus if your BOM is sorted by Item Number, the parts from one manufacturer could appear in multiple groups.  I hope this will be corrected in a future release.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost