AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming / Renumbering in the Project?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
warrenandy
859 Views, 4 Replies

Renaming / Renumbering in the Project?

I have a user who had to add in a couple pages in the middle. Now he wants to renumber all of them after the new sheet. Is their a automated way to renumber them?

Andrew Warren
Manager, Engineering Services Support
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations
warrenandy@bfusa.com
andywarrenbc@outlook.com
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stefan.stamate
in reply to: warrenandy

Yes, Use Project "Wide Update or Retag" and use the check box for Sheet, you will probably need to bump them up. See the attached picture as well. Keep in mind that you will need to do a retag on those pages and run the wire numbering as well.

Message 3 of 5
warrenandy
in reply to: stefan.stamate

I tried to get it to work and it does not seem to want to update the file / drawing names? What am I doing wrong?

Fo exsample I made up some anmes, lets say he wants to add another sheet at 512 and then 512 would become 513, 513 to 514, etc.

I tried to do it with project update and it did not increnment it...

Capture.JPG

Andrew Warren
Manager, Engineering Services Support
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations
warrenandy@bfusa.com
andywarrenbc@outlook.com
Message 4 of 5

The sheet renumber only changes the %S value for each drawing.  The %S or sheet number is separate from the file name.  The file name could be anything you wish.  Some people name them thing like MPWR_400V_100A for a main power distribution page at 400VAC and 100Amps.  They have a drawing repository that they pull from to create new projects.  I favor naming my files DocumentNumber_PageNo.  But to answer you question, if you are naming the files with a number that represents the sheet number, you have to rename each drawing independently.  Other competitive programs that I use do allow a project-wide renumber but they control the filenames anyway, so you don;t have a choice over the file name,.  I've seen projects with 125 pages but with file names like ____1234 for page 1 and ____1145 for page 2, etc.  The software controls the drawing filenames so you can move up and move down the order of drawings in the project manager and the software will renumber the page numbers accordingly, while the filenames are updated by the software to some unique value that it chooses.  At least Electrical allows us to control the filename.

Hint: You cannot rename a file that is open for editing.  If the file is highlighted in bold in the Project Manager you cannot rename the file.  Rename the last file first, as long as it is open and you can work your way backwards renaming the files until you reach the place where you want to insert a new drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5

If you are dealing with few files renaming each one in the project manager is the way to go.

If you have instead lots of files to rename you can close the project, use an external software (I use Panda Batch Renamer) to rename the drawings and after that open the wdp file in notepad and manually change the filenames in the list of drawings at the bottom of the wdp file to match the new ones (hopefully here you can use the find/replace option). There's no easy solution though.

I will stress that this second solution is the last choice for me...but when you are on a tight deadline it might make a huge difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost