AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relays and Sockets

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1379 Views, 5 Replies

Relays and Sockets

Hello Folks 8-)
I am sure some of you have ran into this issue before so.......before I recreate the wheel I will ask. In my schematic drawings I show relays, but on my panel (footprint) I show the base that holds the relay. My desired result, is on the panel footprint I want the item balloons for both to show....coming off of the base. Do I simply draw both items balloons? Or is there a more "automatic" way to make that happen?? Such as a sub-assembly?? Just wondering. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marty
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We have some similar issues at my job. What I do in this case is create a place to hold components that may not appear in the schematic but are on the panel. I place them there by using the generic marker symbol. An example that I have from my experience is we have a surge suppressor that requires a socket. Using insert footprint from schematic, I place the geometry for the surpressor on the panel and the place the socket in my place holder area. When it comes time to insert a balloon for the socket, I click on the generic marker symbol I placed for the socket and drag the balloon up under the balloon I've previously placed for the surpressor. Hope this helps somewhat.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for the post...and YES it does help....through trial and error I discovered pretty much the procedure you describe. But what I am trying now is this.......place the geometry for your suppressor on the panel......then place the socket on the panel...balloon both of them....then copy the item # and balloon from the socket to the balloon of the suppressor, then delete the socket.......seems to work ok for me......then if I need the double balloon on other items I merely copy it where I need it.

Thanks for the post
Marty
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

The best way to do this is the Panel Layout>Insert Footprint (List)>Insert Footprint (Catalog List) File. But you will need to add the socket to the list. This process is very quick and easy to do. All the parts you add to this list are assigned part numbers and footprints if done correctly. They will then generate a BOM item# and quantity.
Message 5 of 6
dougmcalexander

I just did this on a project last week.. You have two options. The simplest is to go to the panel footprint insert flyout and click "Insert Footprint Manual" then choose Generic Marker. You can place down a generic marker that is nothing more than descriptive text (just so there is a visual) but you can enter MFG, CAT, and ITEM, etc. When you balloon it, you click on the actual Generic Marker text (usually positioned near the relay), but you start the arrow at the relay itself. I use this method for wireway caps. My wireways are actual blocks. I place them down and use stretch block to set the length. I then use a generic marker to account for the wireway cover. Another method is what I do for relays. I actually have three blocks that all have the same insertion point and come together to form the footprint. I will attach a sample drawing. If you zoom in you will notice that the base is an entity, the relay itself is an entity, and the retainer clips are one block as well. I enter MFG, CAT, and ITEM as normal. When ballooning, I click each and treat them as three separate devices. I use this same method for fuses and fuseholders. One note about the generic marker. When you use a generic marker, the QTY will aper as a SUB in the BOM. There will be a QTY of 1 and the SUB will display the actual QTY. Before you place your BOM on drawing or export it, click User Post and select the middle choice, QTY X SUBQTY--->QTY, blank out SUBQTY. Once we get the ability to assign item numbers through the Multiple BOM feature, and balloon the same, the need for layered footprints should go away.

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

This method sounds way to complicated for what needs to be done. Try my method !!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report