AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relay Parent/Child relationship on different sheets

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
croland
2325 Views, 3 Replies

Relay Parent/Child relationship on different sheets

I want to make some "template" circuits that have relay coils (Parent) on one sheet and relay contacts (child) on another sheet.  Is there a way to make it where when you insert the parent templates [let's say 16 relay coils on E1], there is an automatic association between the coils and relay contacts [let's say 16 N.O. contacts on E2]??  I am currently using Autocad Electrical 2012. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
randybrunette
in reply to: croland

The parent/child relationship is determined by having the same value in the TAG1 attribute on the parent component, and in the TAG2 attribute on the child component.

Here is a suggestion to try. In the two template files, set the parent and child values to be the same. I suggest making the values something out of the ordinary, that would not be used on any of your projects. (maybe something like QXY1, QXY2,...QXY16). This should prevent the new components from being confused with any existing components.

Create drawings in your project using the template files, then use the Retag Component command to retag the components to match your project or drawing standards. Since the tags matched, establishing the parent/child relationship, the component relationship should remain.

Let me know if this works for you.

Randy Brunette
Brunette Technologies, LLC
randy.brunette@brutec.us
www.brutec.us
Message 3 of 4
croland
in reply to: randybrunette

We took your suggestion and gave it a try.  It partially worked.  The glitch is in the pin list for the relay contacts.  We already have the pins defined and have all of the neccessary attributes for the pins to work right.

After the retag, both the coils and contacts retag correctly.  The child contact takes on its parent tag but the pins assigned to the contacts do not show up unless you actually click the toggle button and click the contact.  After doing so the correct pin numbers are inserted.  It would be nice if there was a way to toggle all of the contacts at once so the pins would appear quicker than clicking on each individual contact.

Message 4 of 4
randybrunette
in reply to: croland

I don't think I understand what is happening.

You could set the the contact pins in the templates as well. They should be maintained during the retagging process too.

Randy Brunette
Brunette Technologies, LLC
randy.brunette@brutec.us
www.brutec.us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost