AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-tagging function

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
STEVENAR
588 Views, 7 Replies

Re-tagging function

Hi,

I have recently switched from AutoCAD LT to AutoCAD Electrical therefore I am just a beginner.  I have produced a set of Electrical Block Diagrams with each electrical component (transmitters, switches etc) being represented by a parent block symbol and tag. I must now produce a set of wiring diagrams which will show the same components. I  was planning to use child components on the wiring diagrams so that the components are not duplicated, however will carry the same tag. I have done a trial and have set up a parent/ child relationship. The child carries the same tag as the parent as it should do. However we are often required to change tags on drawings. I need to know how to change the tag of the parent which will then automatically update the child components. I have tried the AERETAG command, however the parent components change the NE? when I run this command. Can anyone help. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CAD-ICE
in reply to: STEVENAR

Dear Stevenar,

I think that you should take a minute to read and study Dough´s McAlexander video covering representation of the same device on one or several drawings. The video shows how to represent the sam device using the WDTAGALT attribute.

The video is located under Tips and Trick´s on his site (klick on the link below and learn)

I strongly suggest that you study this site well as there are a lot of goodies to be found...thank´s to Dough´s effort and expertice.

http://www.ecadconsultant.com/index.html

Representing the same device with both a front-of-door-view footprint and a rear-of-door-view footpr...

Good luck, Gary

Message 3 of 8
STEVENAR
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am still not any clearer how the child tag will automatically update when the parent tag is changed. How is the new WDTAGALT attribute linked to the child component? Can you please advise.

Regards

Message 4 of 8
testsubject

Stevenar,

The WDTAGALT is useful for associating two different parent devices, such as a solenoid on a schematic diagram with a valve on the pneumatic diagram. These two components can have different tags but the WDTAGALT will create a link between the two so that they may share the component info (MFG, CAT, etc.)

Since you are just starting out, it may be helpful for us if you zip up the project (the .wdp file and a couple of drawings from the project depicting what you are trying to do) and attach it so that we may see what you have done so far. Then we may be able to give you a more directed response.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 8
STEVENAR
in reply to: testsubject

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  I have watched the video presentation shown on the previous post but I am still unclear how to create the WDTAGALT link. I understand how to create the new attribute called WDTAGALT on a component. However how do I link this to another component?

Message 6 of 8
testsubject

Each parent component has to have the WDTAGALT attribute store in it. Once that is done, select one of the components and selelct "Edit Component".

In the Component Tag area, click on "Schematic".

Make sure that "Show parent/stand alone references" and "Show all components for all families" are checked.

From the list, select the other matching component and click "Copy Tag".

On the next dialog box, click "WDTAGALT' then click "Okay".. This establishes the relationship between the two different representations of the same component.

I hope this helps...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 8
Icemanau
in reply to: testsubject

Reading the original post and replies, you already have a Parent/Child match between the two components. This means you don't need the WDTAGALT attribute.

When you click on a parent block and change something that affects the component, ACADE will automatically propagate those changes down to the child components with a couple of dialog boxes asking for various permissions.

For example,

Relay K1 with 4 contacts in various positions over several dwgs.

Edit K1 and change the tag to K11.

ACADE will then ask if it can search and change to child blocks. After clicking Yes, ACADE will then move to the various contacts on the same dwg and change the TAG to the new one.

Next, ACADE will ask if it can move to other dwgs in the project to change to child contacts on them. After clicking on Yes, ACADE may ask for permission to do a QSAVE depeneding on how you have ACADE set up.

ACADE will then close the dwg you are working on, open the next dwg with a contact for that relay and make the same changes. ACADE will work through all the dwgs until all contacts have been changed and then open the original dwg again.

The same thing will happen if you change the catalog selection, LOC INST or any other information that require the data on the child blocks.

On a side note, if you are going to do a lot of tag changes, you can tell ACADE to hold the automatic changes in a task list and do them all at once rather than waiting for ACADE to do them one by one.

To access the task list, right click on the project name in the project manager and select task list from the functions if it is available.

You said you had made block diagrams, can you clarify what you mean by that. Are the blocks showing physical locations on a panel or are they more like a schematic.

Reason I ask is that Footprints can show the wiring information with the proper attributes. These blocks are named differently than the standard schematic type blocks. I've attached a footprint block for a 4 pole relay for you to look at an get an idea of what I'm talking about. As you can see, it shows how the relay base physically looks at a 1:1 scale with the wire numbers showing up outside of the base.

When this block is inserted in a panel layout  and associated with the correct schematic component, ACADE can fill in the wiring information when you run the 'Wire Annotation of a Panel Footprint' command from the panel footprint menu.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 8 of 8
STEVENAR

Hi,

Thanks again for all your comments. However the Parent/Child relationship does not work for me. I have created a parent block symbol which contains TAG 1 and a child block symbol which contains TAG 2. When I insert the child component and link it the parent, TAG 1 transfers to the child component. However when I edit TAG 1 the child component is not updated.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost