AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"0" quantity on BOM

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
breierg
732 Views, 15 Replies

"0" quantity on BOM

AutoCAD 2010 electrical SP2

What would cause a quantity of 0 in my BOM oviously the device is there, all the info is there but qty=0.....why?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
breierg
in reply to: breierg

Anyone have an idea......

Message 3 of 16
breierg

Can't seem to find out why? Anyway?

Message 4 of 16
dougmcalexander

Is this a subassembly item with a count setting of 0?  If you enter no specific count AcadE assumes a quantity of 1.  If you enter 0 it may interpret that as none.  I am only guessing, given the amount of information you provided,.  When you have strange issues like this, it is best to post a drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 16
breierg

Doug

This is a regular panel component, not a sub assembly component. Tha catalog data shows on the BOM but the qty is always "0" even if there are multiple components in the drawing

Message 6 of 16
dougmcalexander

I've never seen that issue before. Did you try deleting the project database from your User folder? It can sometimes become corrupted. There is no harm in deleting it. Exit Electrical and delete it. Restart and try your BOM. Electrical will create a new project database. The reports are generated from the database.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 7 of 16
breierg

got rid of the project data base, no change

I believe it has something to do with the component table in the catalog database, if I change the part number of the component to a different type it works fine

Message 8 of 16
dougmcalexander

Post a drawing that has this problem. I cannot just keep guessing since it is something I've never seen before.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 16
breierg
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug

I deleted and replaced the component entry in the catalog database and the problem is solved. Quick question on the databse, what dictates the required fields in the catalog database?

Thanks for your help

Message 10 of 16
dougmcalexander

The software expects all fields to be present.  Starting with version 2011 you can select not to see certain fields by right-clicking over the field names and unchecking the fields you don;t wish to see.  But the Catalog Number, Manufacturer, Query 1 (varies by component type) and Query 2 (varies by component).  Edit any record from the Lookup dialog and you will see an asterisk next to the required fields, meaning fields that cannot be left blank.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 16
breierg

great info!

also is there a way to adjust the grid as to where Acad changes a wire nuimber

I use a grid of 1/2" between numbers and Acad numbers to the above line number 1/4" below that line and then 1/4" above the next line number, if you get right in between the two Acad will swich back and forth between the line numbers causing my wire and component numbers to change between projects, I would like Acad to number to the above number untill on the next line

Message 12 of 16
dougmcalexander

The wire numbers and tags are assigned within an approximate range of halfway between line reference numbers up and down.  In other words, think of the line reference as resting in the middle of the range it controls.  So halfway between 101 and 102 is where 102 begins, while 103 starts about halfway between 102 and 103.  I don't think there is an adjustment for this range.  But you can edit a wire number and mark it fixed to force it to be whatever number you wish.   Automatic wire numbering will affect no change on a fixed wire number.

Note: I recommend to avoid Feature Scale Multiplier settings above 2 or below 0.5.  This can have adverse affects on wire numbering, cross-referencing, etc. The FSM is a great feature for doubling the size of symbols or half-sizing them, but not for English to metric scale conversions.  The trap distance gets too coarse and this can cause problems with tagging and cross-referencing.  I have even seen it cause issues with sequentially numbered terminal blocks that are in close proximity.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 16

Hello,

I am sorry to revive an old post but I have experienced a similar issue use ACADE 2017. I have entered catalog information for all components and when I do a catalog check within the edit component dialog box everything looks good. When I run a BOM report (panel, full) no quantities are displayed in the quantity column. When I run a schematic report I do have quantities displayed.

I have not tried anything with the project databases but this problem has occurred across multiple projects.

My BOM reports used to populate all of the desired fields nicely. Last week I created a custom .set report format in order to make things easier and now when I try to run the report the "old fashion way" no quantities are displayed. However, when I use my custom .set format file to run the report everything turns out OK.

Has there been any other instances of this occurring? A bug perhaps? Any info that helps me understand whats happening would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

Message 14 of 16
dougmcalexander

What version of AutoCAD Electrical were you using previously? If 2014 or older your .set files will need to be recreated. I assume that is why you made a new one. The problem seems to be related to the report format file you created for a panel BOM. If I had to guess, I suspect that you are running the User Post to multiply QTY times SUBQTY and blank out SUBQTY, but somehow you left the SUBQTY in the report and removed the QTY. That is simply a guess based upon the level of information provided.

We can rename the report fields and when we do, the software keeps it renamed that way, even if we remove the field from the report format. So if SUBQTY got changed to QTY and you are using the User Post I mentioned above, your quantity will not be correct.

Doug McAlexander

Message 15 of 16
dougmcalexander

Try running the Tallied Purchase List Format option and see if the quantity is correct.

Doug McAlexander

Message 16 of 16

Hey Doug,

Thanks for your thoughts. This is the first version of ACADE that we have (2017) and are in the process of migrating from ACAD. Normally I would use the Panel BOM, Full, Tallied purchase list form with the user post to limit multiple entries. What I have set up in my format file works fine but when I choose the same options manually my quantities are blank.

Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost