AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUESTIONS FOR A NEWBY TO ELECTRICAL

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Goldhound
338 Views, 2 Replies

QUESTIONS FOR A NEWBY TO ELECTRICAL

I started searching the web for software that would allow my to design circuits and I found AutoCAD Electrical and a program called "TINA".

I just downloaded the 30 trial of AutocCAD Electrical but I can't find any semiconductors or components for building digital circuits in the library, Would AutoCAD electrical allow me to design circuits using transistors, IC chips? Could I simulate the circuit inside of CAD?

TINA allows me to design and test circuits, has thousands of components in its library and has virtual test equipment too... anything like that in CAD?

I like the CAD environment but just not familiar with CAD Electrical..

Thanks for any help!

Greg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
testsubject
in reply to: Goldhound

Greg,

Altough you might over time be able to adapt ACE to do what you want, it was primarily designed for Control Panel builders and designers not PCB designers. It sounds like TINA might be more appropriate for what you want to do.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Goldhound

Greg, it's like Bob said, AutoCAD Electrical is primarily for designing industrial control systems, factory automation, ride and show control, etc., anything that needs and bill of material and a wire connection list.  I have seen it used in the telecom industry as well to document cable runs.  But a more suitable software for circuit board design is OrCAD or perhaps TINA.

Note: There is a small section of discrete device symbols such as resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc., in the symbol menu but no transistors, integrated circuits, etc.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost