AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purge all blocks - in Porject-Wide Utilities

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Wheelie22
1450 Views, 7 Replies

Purge all blocks - in Porject-Wide Utilities

Is this the same as the command

- purge

- select Blocks (if there is a + infront)

- purge

or does it more ?

Because for 1 drawing i want 1 button that purges blocks, and not 5 clicks for the project wide option. Smiley Tongue

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Wheelie22

The option to purge the drawings from the Project Utilities menu purges all unused blocks/symbols which might have been previously inserted but later erased.  It is helpful for trimming the file size by eliminating blocks that are no longer needed.  I run this utility as part of the preparation to release my drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 8
Wheelie22
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks, and did you know the extra options when u use the command :

-purge

like Regapps (see all these AcadE settings), Zero-length geometry, Empty text objects.

But thats not what i mean.

I saw that before Purge all blocks in PWU it does a undo mark, but is these more or can i make 1 button :

-purge blocks * n

for 1 drawing, if i have to insert a changed block again.

Message 4 of 8
dougmcalexander

If you wish to replace a block that has already been inserted with a modified version of the block, use Update Block from the Swap/Update Block utility.  Choose either Drawing-wide or Project-wide.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 8
sonny3g

I added a shortcut comand to my shortcuts.lsp file that does this for me.  I type p_all and it purges all from the current document only.  I also have p_blk and p_lyr to just purge blocks and layers.  When ever I find that I do a command sequence multiple times I look into adding a two, three or four letter abbreviated command in my shortcuts.lsp file.  You can imagine that is has quite a list of sequential commands by now.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 6 of 8
dougmcalexander
in reply to: sonny3g

Scott, I've honestly never needed any special purge functions.  I never purge layers, since my wire types are layers.  I only purge unused blocks from my drawings and I would rather wait until the project is completed and let Projectwide utilities handle that for me.  I wrote a script to handle it for me in the old days, before the Purge routine was added to Project-wide Utilities.  If I need to replace a previously inserted block with a new version, I use Update Block.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 8
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

What typically happens to us is that we get old drawings used as a start point.  These drawings did not have the current layer structure for schematics or panels.  We also get drawings started by other departments that don't know what standards are.  So, we have to add the layers ACADE is expecting.  We add all of them to start, do our drawing, modify existing entities as needed and then purge out all of the "crap" we don't want to bring the size of the drawing back down to a reasonable file size.  I am currently working on plans to automate standards enforcement in my department that will help alleviate much of this problem.

This is usually a much bigger problem with mechanical drawings that we need to work with for brackets, layouts and assemblies.  However, much of the earlier schematics have all of the wires on one layer, WIRES, with some being hidden line type or color hardcoded.  It can be quite traumatic to be just buzzing right along getting work done and wham, run right into one of the old drawings and there goes my productivity while I take time to correct everything that needs to be updated for the new formats and standards.

Add to all of that, the company I work for now was purchased by a foreign entity so we have old pre ACADE drawings, recent ACADE drawings and now we get to figure out what those ALF (alien life form) cuss words mean we get from the new owners.  You know, BFT_INGJE and more...

Buyt hey, if just anyone could do it I wouldn't get paid the big bucks..... yeah, just kidding there.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 8 of 8
dougmcalexander
in reply to: sonny3g

Scott, could you not just copy the drawing elements from the old drawings using copy with base point and insert them into an AcadE drawing that was created using your AcadE template?

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost