AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Wide Terminal strip install and location change/update

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1679 Views, 8 Replies

Project Wide Terminal strip install and location change/update

I have a project that is 50 plus drawings. I have several terminal strips grouped by tag strip name. Is there a way to change or update the location and install information for each tag strip ID through out the whole project? 

Thanks,

Jim

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
drathak
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a project that is 50 plus drawings. I have several terminal strips grouped by tag strip name. Is there a way to change or update the location and install information for each tag strip ID through out the whole project? 

Thanks,

Jim

Kinda sorta.  You can use the Export To Spreadsheet function and then edit the spreadsheet.  Then import it back in.  Quickest way I can think of.

ImportExport.png

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 9
dougmcalexander

Joe's method is one of my favorites to use.  On smaller strips, where the terminals are grouped together on a schematic drawing, you can use the Copy Installation Code or Copy Location Code utilities on the Edit Footprints panel of the Panel menu tab.  This utility will work on schematic drawings as well.  You can window-select to process multiple terminal symbols at once.  You can use this utility to edit an entire strip, if it has already been inserted into the panel.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 9
ccad2509
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug your offering up your favorite method not the actual method thats built into acade 

do i need to remond you of last time you did this  ?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical-General/Changing-Terminal-Block-Tag-Strips-Simultan...

1) Goto Panel> Editor

select terminal strip you wish to edit the presss edit

edit.jpg

2) youcan now select any or all the terminals in the block and then press resign terminals

Slide2.JPG

3) you can now browse to a different existing block details or enter new block details

Slide1.JPG

click ok >oK>Done

and the project updates

Message 5 of 9
drathak
in reply to: ccad2509

@ccad2509 wrote:

Doug your offering up your favorite method not the actual method thats built into acade 

do i need to remond you of last time you did this  ?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical-General/Changing-Terminal-Block-Tag-Strips-Simultan...

1) Goto Panel> Editor

select terminal strip you wish to edit the presss edit

click ok >oK>Done

and the project updates 

All well and good if you are updating one strip of 50 terminals scattered across several drawings.  But if you have say 50 12-point blocks (strips) then that would be tedious.  Bulk data editing is where it is at in that situation. 

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 6 of 9
dougmcalexander
in reply to: drathak

Absolutely Joe!   There are often 2-3 ways to accomplish the same thing in Electrical. It sometimes depends on what you were doing just before you needed to perform the next edit.  TSE is still one of my favorite tools in AutoCAD Electrical, but the spreadsheet offers virtually unlimited editing of virtually everything in the project.  That has always been my "go to".  It predates TSE.  It even predates intelligent panel layouts.  I have always liked editing in a spreadsheet.  

Reassigning via TSE can require you to reinsert the terminal strip, when all you really wanted was to change attribute values.  After I insert a strip, I unhide the P_TAGSTRIP attribute of the first terminal in a strip, so the drawing shows the strip ID.  I then rotate the attribute and reposition it above the strip.  I would rather not have to redo all that, which is required after Rebuild.  If you change Location Code via TSE, you have to Insert the Strip all over again, not just Rebuild it.

You can renumber a terminal strip via TSE as well, but TSE renumbers the footprints and back annotates the schematic, which can sometimes result in terminals not be numbered in order of their appearance in the project.  I like sequentially-numbered terminals to be numbered according to their appearance in the project, based upon drawing order.  The command AETERMRENUMPROJ can do that.  It is a command leftover from the pull-down menu days.  It still exists but has no place in the ribbon.  In fact, there was never an icon for it, since it was from a pull-down.  It has a sister command called AETERMRENUMPICK, which prompts for a beginning number (or alphanumeric value) and as you click terminals it increments them sequentially.  I created icons for these two commands and I added them to my ribbon menu in the Edit Components panel, and also in the right-click menu for terminals (Shortcut Menus>Hot Wire menu only - Schematic terminals).  I give these icons to my clients, while teaching them how to use the CUI editor.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 7 of 9

I have even another way to do it completely different from these.

I use Find/Edit/Replace Component Text on the Schematic tab and then select the entire project.

The first item is TAG. Select the tagstrip strip you want to change and then enter the new tag strip in the Find and Replace fields. This does the whole project including panels without having to re-insert the terminals.

Like Doug stated, many ways to skin this cat...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys. I went with the excel spreadsheet but all look good. Does anyone know how to change the font size of the text for the location and install project wide?

Message 9 of 9
dougmcalexander

Project-wide Utilities is one way I like. You can change font (called Style) and size.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost