AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project database location ACE2007

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
John
225 Views, 5 Replies

Project database location ACE2007

I notice (after opening an old project) that in 2007 the database (.mdb) file is in some obscure location under Documents and Settings. Up to now I have always stored this in the same folder as the drawings. Is there any way to change this? Or perhaps I do not need to save this at all and re-create it temporarily every I open a project for editing?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MartinLee
in reply to: John

This was a feature that wen away with ACE2006 :-(. Seems to me that they had a good reason for this, but I don't remember what it was.
Message 3 of 6
dougmcalexander

The scratchpad databases have always been stored in the User folder. The path to the user folder follows the Documents and Settings path. I create a shortcut to the User folder on my desktop so I can go to it quickly when I need to access certain files, such as the scratchpad database, one of the 24 user circuits, any of the default files such as the default.wdw, etc. The scratchpad databases, as you may know, can indeed be deleted. ACE will create a new one each time you open a project that has no scratchpad database. All the data is stored in the drawing files. The scratchpad database just speeds up project-wide functions. Think of it as more or less ACE's internal use. When your project is released, feel free to erase the projectname.mdb file to free up space on your disk. You may want to store a custom catalog database (parts catalog) per project. I do that for custom jobs. You can copy the default_cat.mdb from the Catalogs folder, also down the Documents and Settings path, to your project folder. Rename the catalog to ProjectName.mdb. Be sure that the name matches the ProjectName.wdp file. ACE looks in the project folder first. If it finds a catalog file there it uses that catalog exclusively for that particular project. I do this all the time for custom projects. By the way, it is a good idea to store all files, including custom ProjectName.wdw files, custom ProjectName_wdtitle.wdl files, the ProjectName.wdp file, etc. in the same folder as the drawings, just to keep track of all project-related files easier.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 6
gpbuttke

"The scratchpad databases have always been stored in the User folder"

- INCORRECT

There has always been an option to have the scratch databases in a "shared" location. When selected from the Project Manager's "MISC SETTINGS" dialog box, the scratch databases are stored where the projects "wdp" file is located.

This would be the "+[12]1" variable in the wdp files variable list.

We miss this variable as when working on a large order with 4-5 Engineers working on the drawing set, the mdb is refreshed for all the users speeding up access to drawings and processes.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

As far as the location of the scratch database, both Glenn and Doug are
correct. The default location for the scratch database has always been in
the USER folder, that is unless in previous releases the user had selected
to "share" the scratch database, which would then place it where the project
was located. With the 2006 release, and now 2007 and going forward, there
have been enhancements and changes made to the architecture of the program
where it is no longer beneficial to attempt and share a single scratch
database. Now, each users ACE continually monitors the drawings that are in
the project, updating their scratch database as changes are saved to the
drawings in the project, whether that be by this particular user, or by
other users working on that project, the new scratch database service will
recognize those changes and update accordingly.

I hope this helps!!

---------------------------
Jared (Autodesk, Inc)
---------------------------

wrote in message news:5145917@discussion.autodesk.com...
"The scratchpad databases have always been stored in the User folder"

- INCORRECT

There has always been an option to have the scratch databases in a "shared"
location. When selected from the Project Manager's "MISC SETTINGS" dialog
box, the scratch databases are stored where the projects "wdp" file is
located.

This would be the "+[12]1" variable in the wdp files variable list.

We miss this variable as when working on a large order with 4-5 Engineers
working on the drawing set, the mdb is refreshed for all the users speeding
up access to drawings and processes.
Message 6 of 6
dougmcalexander

Sure we have the "option" to store the scratchpad database in the project folder in previous releases, but it sort of worked against the reasoning of the project database in the first place. Having the "scratchpad" database local meant faster access for ACE, avoiding the lag time involved in accessing a network drive that is shared. I mean, the drawings were already shared, so we took a slight speed hit there. We did not want to further reduce processing speed by placing the project database on a network drive. Sure you might get the latest version of the database, if someone else made a change to a drawing, but the trade-off was speed. Besides, even if someone did make a change to a drawing that affected the database, your own local database would see the time code variance and refresh itself, or at least prompt you to. There always seems to be confusion about the project database. When I teach ACE I have my students blow away the database for a project they are working on, just to prove to them that, unlike similar programs in the market, with ACE the drawing still rules the database, not the other way around. All drawing data is stored in the drawing files themselves. The database is only a snapshot in time of the collection of drawings, so ACE can deliver quick reports, next available wire numbers, etc. As Jared points out with 2006 and 2007 ACE is maintaining the database locally while still keeping track of drawing changes in an expedient manner, even if the change is made by another user in a network environment.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost