AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems updating project and footprint databases in sync

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
BlaiseW
655 Views, 1 Reply

Problems updating project and footprint databases in sync

Hello,

I've been having problems with the footprint_lookup.mbd and the project .mdb located in C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2013\R19.0\enu\Support\user.

I'll associate a component via the catalog lookup to a custom block dwg.  Both the footprint_lookup.mbd and the block.dwg are linked through the Vault.

Sometimes I may make a mistake, or want to change the drawing that component links to in the Vault.  So for instance, RS-PowerSupply in the catalogue looked up RS-Diode.dwg by accident. I change the footprint_lookup to link to the appropriate RS-PowerSupply.dwg, and I've verified it changes correctly.

However when I try to insert the component using the Schematic List command, it still brings up the wrong RS-Diode.dwg, even though the path in the footprint_lookup looks like it points to RS-PowerSupply.dwg.

We tried inserting the block manually. Now we got the .dwg block we wanted, but the footprint_lookup would not be updated unless it was checked out. We don't have problems with doing this, but we find it kind of flaky that there isn't a warning message telling us that the project might have different blocks than what the vault points to.

After a large amount of troubleshooting, we figured out the project database.mbd in C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2013\R19.0\enu\Support\user wasn't updating when using the Footprint Database File Editor tool; while manually inserting the correct block automatically changed the project database.mbd, but not the footprint_lookup.mbd when not checked out.

This is problematic when we want to use the Schematic List Insert, for collaborative work in Vault, or for the added oversight to keep the integrity of our files.

We changed the search path so that the footprint_lookup.mbd in Vault would be searched first over the project.mbd, but this merely flipped the behaviours we saw between editing the footprint_lookup, and inserting manually. AEREBUILDDB doesn't seem to do anything either.

Does anyone have a solution to this, or is this an inherent design oversight in ACE?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
algerj
in reply to: BlaiseW

Just like Regular AutoCAD, AutoCAD Electrical Stores a copy of the block in the drawing. If you make a change to a block in the original Drawing and you simply delete a reinsert you will get the same block that was there originally.

You can do one of two things.

Purge the block and Re-insert from the new location.

Or Do a "Swap/Update Block" and select "Library Swap" and it will replace an older version with a new one...

This works the same for a block that was assigned by mistake... The system thinks that the current block is the block that needs to be there. 

Try both, if you are still having issues post again.

it could also be that you have not updated the library to/from the vault.

The C:vault workspace that is Assigned to a project will not let you know if a block is out of date.

(However, you can check if the library is out of date in the Vault Client)

Regards,

James Alger  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost