AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please someone bloody help me.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sinannajm.m
621 Views, 5 Replies

Please someone bloody help me.

How does autocad create 2d blocks that turn into 3d models when you switch views? Also, is their a way to either edit, or create the AEC content that comes with Autocad?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnq
in reply to: sinannajm.m

Hi There

I have been using AutoCAD for 10 years, Inventor for a whils and ACE solid for 15 months.

I do not underwstand your first question.

The second question:  Do you mean to edit the supplied electrical electrical symbols to your requirements?

If yes, there is no simple answer.  You need to get the basics with training.

You may think that Doug is pushing his wheel barrow but what he says about inital training is quite vallid.

No I am not on commission, just another continent.

May be you have been given an objective by management and they do not understand the complexity of ACE.

Cheers  jq

Message 3 of 6
Icemanau

On the 2D to 3D, I have no idea.

On the ACE blocks, you create them the same as normal ACAD blocks. All the intelligence comes from special attributes that you insert into the block when creating it. Functions in the Electrical version look for and use the data in these attributes.

There is also a databse that is created for each project you start. This database can be safely deleted and ACAD will re-create it from the dwgs.

Insert some blocks into a blank dwg and explode them to take a look and you will see what I mean about the attributes.

With electrical, you have to get out of the mindset that using plain ACAD creates. All the electrical functions automatically update the database, whereas the plain acad functions don't. This can lead to some wierd looking problems.

As has been stated, get some training. It will take less time than to get to grips with electrical than if you go the trial and error route.

Electrical does provide the most common blocks defined by the various dwg standards (JIC, IEC and so on). What blocks are used depends on your project settings. You should onlay have to create blocks for things like multifunction relays and so on.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 4 of 6
sinannajm.m
in reply to: Icemanau

Hey Guys I really appreciate the replies so far

I have searched up and down the internet and clicked countless buttons, but I cant seem to find the answer. Here is my issue, I want to create a custom set of 2D symbols/blocks to represent various receptacles, fire protection, etc. I want these symbols to show up as 3D devices when in 3D view.

I have attached an example file containing a default receptacle that showcases all the features I need.

My question is, how can I create custom blocks for my company that function just like the standard blocks/receptacles that came with the program?

Any and all help would be immensely appreciated, I am a new intern at this company and they have stuck me on a seemingly insurmountable task. Please help guide me.

Thank you,
Sinan Najm

Message 5 of 6
testsubject

Sinan,

What I think you might end up doing is replacing the 2D panel symbols that came with ACE with 3D symbols. AFAIK, there is no way to create a 2D symbol and have it show as a 3D symbol when the view is rotated. You need to create the symbol in 3D and present the 2D face that you want to show up on the panel drawing.

IMO, this kind of job should not be given to an intern (no offense). It takes around 2-3 months to get your head wrapped around how ACE works and that expects you to have a firm foundation in ACAD.

I hope this helps.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 6 of 6
rhesusminus

Hi.

Just wanted to ill in here.

In AutoCAD Architecture, there is something called a multiview block. These blocks actually changes appearance depending on what directions you look at them.

You can't create multiview blocks in AutoCAD Electrical tho'.

RH-

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost