AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLC Starting Address

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
ronbotkin
1658 Views, 21 Replies

PLC Starting Address

Does any one know the location of the Beginning Address Quick Picks when using the parametric insertion of PLC modules?  I would like to modify the quick picks for my application and add specific styles.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
dougmcalexander
in reply to: ronbotkin

Edit the WD.ENV file (in the AeData folder) and look for the last entry under the section entitled, "Symbol Insertion and Library Paths".  (see attached screen capture)  Remove the asterisk (*) at the beginning of the line that begins with "PLC_ADDRESS_FORMAT..."  This enables custom PLC address schemes to be displayed at the top of the standard list when you insert a PLC.  There are a couple of sample schemes on the PLC_ADDRESS_FORMAT line which you can modify as needed. Be careful with the placement of the %1 (rack) and %2 (slot) portion of the address scheme.  Save this file and restart AutoCAD Electrical.  Your custom addressing schemes will appear at the top of the Quick Picks list.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 22
ronbotkin
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks Doug!  That was exactly what I was looking for.

Ron

Message 4 of 22
ronbotkin

Doug,

Another question about PLC addressing.  Is there a way to make the terminal addresses increment by 2 instead of 1?

Thanks

Ron

Message 5 of 22
shuhn

I have created some custom parametric I/O Modules with some custom terminals and everything appears to work perfectly, except it is not prompting me for a Module # when I insert it, but rather skips straight to the beginning address and quick picks dialog box, which has only 3 options for Quick Picks, rather than the usual large list.  Do you have any explanation for this?

Message 6 of 22
dougmcalexander
in reply to: shuhn

Hmm....Make sure you defined prompts.  See the attached screen capture.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 7 of 22
dougmcalexander

Reaching back through 20 years of cobwebs, I'm fairly certain that the code that handles the addressing is part of the compiled code, which cannot be changed by us.  That said, if you are so inclined to write a lisp routine, you might be able to handle this via autolisp that executes when the module is inserted.  Essentially you would create an autolisp that edits the module addressing scheme.  There is a field in the module definition dialog where you can select an autolisp to execute when you insert a module.

Doug McAlexander

Message 8 of 22
dougmcalexander

Ron, another option of course is to define/edit the PLC addresses via the Spreadsheet Import/Export, as shown in the attached screen capture.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 22
shuhn

The "Defined Prompts" comment and picture did it.  I had not done it in the Module Specifications.  I thought the values in the Attribute tag values of the first terminal were what did that.

Message 10 of 22
dougmcalexander

Glad you got it going. Yes, learning how to define a new PLC module isn't one of the easiest things to learn without help. In my advanced training course I dedicate a couple of hours to this, to cover all of those options, and the showing unused or not, spacing, reprompts, etc.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 22
shuhn

Well, we had you here for a week with 5 of us in a room.  I think we called it Admin-level training course.  It was really valuable, and we learned a lot, but I don't remember touching on that topic.

Message 12 of 22
dougmcalexander

No, we wouldn't have time in the administration level getting started course. That's my first level course that covers setting up the software and creating a template, then we simulate a design to learn the basic commands and utilities, using existing PLC modules and the standard library symbols, with the exception being the power supply we create while learning to create a custom symbol.

The advanced course goes into more detail and covers topics that wouldn't even make sense yet to someone who is still trying to grasp the basics. I've had people tell me that they felt like they drank from a fire hose in the administration level getting started class, so I have to do a separate week to cover other stuff. It would take about 4 weeks to turn over every rock to discover everything the software can do.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 22

verify email

Message 14 of 22

I tried this, and removing the "*" and changing the text in the file as instructed didn't have any affect on the pick list choices. In fact, I went as far as renaming the file to make the program believe the file was missing. All to no change in results. Is there something else that needs changed to get the pick list to update the available options?

Message 15 of 22

Are you sure that you removed the asterisk from the beginning of the line  to activate the option?

Doug McAlexander

Message 16 of 22

Yes, I did, as mentioned in my initial post on this

Message 17 of 22
shuhn
in reply to: mstevensND46J

Make sure you're editing the correct env file.   If you're sharing files over a network, then you have to make sure to edit the env file that you are directed at / sharing.   If you want to paste the line in a comment, I would be happy to take a look at it, but I had to work at it and massage it too.  There's also the case to be made that you might need to restart ACE if you haven't already, and make sure to rename that file back to "wd.env"...  I don't know why you would rename the one you're computer is looking at... if you're sharing over a network, you have to rename the AeData folder on your local machine to break the connection to your local machine, but renaming individual files doesn't really do anything.

Message 18 of 22
mstevensND46J

I renamed the file to see if that brought up an error when trying to insert a PLC parametric. Since it had no change, I figured the file was not even being referenced for the address pick list. 

I will look to find the file on the network, if it is there.

Message 19 of 22
shuhn

Well, it's in the AeData folder, whether on a server or your local machine.

Message 20 of 22
rhesusminus

If you right-click a project, and choose "Settings...", you should be able to see the location of the env-file being used, by pressing the "Environment file" button:

20220721 1639 thlct.png

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost