AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLC PARAMETRIC DATA FILE

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
berna
408 Views, 7 Replies

PLC PARAMETRIC DATA FILE

PROBLEM FINDING OR CREATING PLC.DAT FILE

I'd appreciate your advice on How I can get a PLC.DAT file in text mode to work with? I need to add specific OEM modules and its related graphic styles.

Despite the fact I found ACE_PLC .MDB file , the PLC.dat file is missing from all directories you have mentioned at HELP chapter 5 and autodesk support postings.
It does not exist in any of the APPLICATION DATA OR PROGRAM FILES folders.

I created a new module and a new user graphic style using PLC database interactive editor but I need to include many more and change their parameters.

Is the PLC.DAT an unique file per manufacturer or it does contain data for all PLCs and Modules?
Thanks for your time

Message was edited by: berna
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rstein
in reply to: berna

Berna, Which version of AutoCAD Electrical are you using. AutoCAD Electrical 2004 or AutoCAD Electrical 2005?
Message 3 of 8
berna

Rob-- I am using ACE 2005 bought in early july
Message 4 of 8
rstein

In AutoCAD Electrical 2005 there is not a plc.dat file any more. that is why you can not find one but do find the MDB (Microsoft Database) file. you will need to do some research in the help file under PLC, database file editor. there is a user interface now instead of having to edit the .DAT file. If you need further assistance let me know. I won't be able to write anymore detail until later this weekend when I am done with my travels.
Message 5 of 8
berna

Yes - NO need for PLC.dat file , I started using the PLC database editor to create our OEM electronic modules.

However I would like to report a problem creating / inserting the graphic user styles ( #6 for instance) with the OEM modules:

- After copying/renaming and modifiying the HP1*.dwg view files to the new style HP6*.dwg in the Referenced symbol lybrary JIC125. The inserted module does not show all the terminals as they were modified, only the TOP TERMINAL view is ok.

NOTE: I ignore the PLC database editor warning about the missing BMP images of the new style, selecting "GO anyway"

if you see the attached files, no screw terminal are there, however they keep appearing in the model space when I insert the module ( see attached BMP)

After checking Style6 selection and files search path in the PLC editor. I do not find the reason for this. Any suggestion?
Message 6 of 8
berna

Rod, I would like to ask you about the Style files:

How do I update the link between the PLC Parametric file and the corresponding style files?

Every time I make modifications on the HP*.dwg symbols (terminals, descr. positions etc) the parametric file keeps calling or showing the previous view in the final model space drawing.
Message 7 of 8
rstein

Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling alot the past couple of weeks. As far as i know, all you need to do is copy and rename the files HP1*.DWG to HP6*.dwg and all should be well. I will not have time until probably this weekend to dig into this. I will dig into it and try and figure out why it isn't working.
Message 8 of 8
berna

A SOLUTION

1- Copy as hp6*.dwg the closest style files in the JIC95 folder.
2- customize the new style dwgs., because there are as many as 40 files corresponding to one style, you only need to modify the terminal and top views you will work with.

3- Create or copy the current project, assuring JIC95 is in the library symbols path in project settings.
4- Create new modules and/or boxes using the PLC parametric editor, select the new style view (6 and up) and configure each terminal and top view for it. save it before exiting.
5- Insert the module in your model space using the new style.

NOTE: because ACE had trouble updating in model space any modification on the styles ( even after trying DB rebuild utility) . I had to modify everything first and then proceed with new or copy existing project to refresh any "link" with the Symbols library.
Was it planned that way?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost