AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLC - Module info after break

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dsieng
1542 Views, 6 Replies

PLC - Module info after break

I'm trying to figure out how to add the module info to the block after a break.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
lionSG
in reply to: dsieng

What kind of info you trying to add after the break?

You can try using the PLCdatabase File Editor in the schematic tab> other Tools panel dropdown.

Go and find your PLC module and see if you cam update the module info from there.

Message 3 of 7
dougmcalexander

If the split module's second half is on a separate drawing I can see why you may need module info, especially since AcadE doesn't create a cross reference between the two halves. I usually insert a standalone cross reference next to each half of the module to make it easier for the technician to navigate between the two pieces of the module.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 7
dsieng
in reply to: lionSG

I would like know how to add any of it. In particular the model number.

Message 5 of 7
algerj

Hi Dsieng,

Well if I were going to add the module info to the PLC after a break I would edit the PLC in the database editor and add a "Top" based connection (so top input, top output, top terminal).

This works great if you are breaking the module in the same place all the time ...like if you have an automatic break after 16 terminals it would be a good spot for it. If you randomly break the card in different places all the time, then the suggested solution will not work.

The down side to the automatic break is that if you place the module and you DON'T use the Auto-Break then your going to have data repeated in module, but you can actually fix this problem with the "Show" column in the PLC Database.

If you change the "Show" value for the Terminal to "when including unused"  or "when excluding unused", you can switch between a "Top" and a normal version of the terminal, input, or output you select. Choosing Include or exclude depends on whither you always want the data showing after a break or if you only want it there sometimes when you select the "Include Unused/extra connects" Toggle.

Use "When Excluding Unused" if you always want the data there, and you want to be able to hide it with the "Include Unused/extra connects" Toggle when you insert the PLC.

Use "When Including unused" if you want the data hidden most of the time and want be able to toggle it on when required.

So to Re-Cap,

(using a 32 point cards as an example)

1. Open the PLC database Editor open the card you want to edit.

2. Add a second addressable "terminal 17" to the card just after the auto-break. (should be after the 16th addressable point)

3. Change the show value of the "top" data you just added to:

a) When excluding unused. (default is always showing)  

b) When including unused. (default  is hidden)

4. Change the existing terminal for addressable point 17 (in this example) to the opposite of what you selected in step 3.

5. Save the card and test it out.

a) During an insert flag the ""Include Unused/extra connects" Toggle to make sure that the data shows and hides properly.

Let me know if you get stuck and I can grab a few screenshots,

I hope this helps,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Message 6 of 7
lionSG

I suspect that your PLC parametric module was not properly configured at the first place.

You can try what others have replied you on how to configure the PLC database file editor which is the proper way.

If you just want to add some model number, you can try to edit the block using the Symbol Editor, and add the necessary tag1,desc1,2,3. But it may be convert to just a Electrical component. 

Message 7 of 7
dsieng
in reply to: algerj

I WILL try this method, and I think it's going to work perfectly. If I encounter any difficulties I will report back.

As an AutoCAD Electrical novice I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed response.

Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost