AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLC Description Field

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
liamharris
897 Views, 8 Replies

PLC Description Field

Hi,

I have run into an issue with my PLC's; everytime I update the Desciptions of a previously placed PLC, the text doesn't apply and is wiped next time you 'Edit Component'. Is there any cause for this? I have recently linked the PLCs to our database. 

Ive attached 2 images:

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks!

Liam

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

What do you mean by linked your PLCs to your database? What you are describing is not a problem I have seen before so I would conclude at first glance that something is amiss with your setup. Do you have this same problem when using the PLC modules that are included with the software?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9

Hi

Thanks for the fast response!

Sorry, what I mean is I have used the 'Catalog lookup' feature in the Edit PLC Module window and linked it to the corresponding component on the database. This seemed to have automatically applied throughout the PLCs in the project, causing them all to pull in the information from the PLCIO table in our default_cat database. This doesn't replicate on the PLCs included with the software (it seems). I considered that something is probably overriding the Description fields, but I cannot find anything in the PLC database (ace_plc.mdb) nor can I find anything in our database (default_cat > PLCIO) which would override these windows. However, we are using the Description 3 field to present our company's part number through using the TEXT/VALUE column in the default_cat database through the use of DESC3=[#######]; this doesn't seem to make a difference to the PLCs though as we are only using Description 1 and 2.

I have uploaded one of the PLCs in question, hopefully this can help you understand the issue better:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/beom6qm6bxl0fsq/Problematic%20PLC.dwg

Thank you,

Liam

Message 4 of 9

That looks like a custom module. What did you name it? Does the file name begin with PLCIO?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 9
electricman1
in reply to: liamharris

I'm not seeing the DESCA00, DESCB00, ....DESCD00 attributes in the plc block.

Message 6 of 9

That's what I'm driving at. It doesn't appear to be made as an actual PLC symbol. I'm on my mobile so I cannot explode it to view the attributes to see if the proper ones are there.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 9
liamharris
in reply to: electricman1

Yeah, seems that they aren't in the PLC; but the question is how it worked before, and why isn't it working now? The information doesn't actually need to be displayed in the drawing, it just has to be in the PLC.

Thanks for your help so far!
Message 8 of 9

Just had a test and it does seem to be the DESCA00 which is the issue! I will have another play to see if there is a solution which can be applied to the PLCs before I have to reinsert them all.
Message 9 of 9

You can make the attributes invisible if you don't want to see the descriptions on the drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost