AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Reader instead of IE

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
oveimariemamn
399 Views, 6 Replies

PDF Reader instead of IE

Is it possible to make ACE start the PDF reader instead of internet E when one press "Web/View knob" in the Bill of Material Check window. I have all info and catalogs on the server.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
testsubject
in reply to: oveimariemamn

That is easy to do.

You need to go to the catalog, edit the catalog item and change the Weblink field to the point to the pdf instead. After doing that, the pdf will launch when you click the Web/View button.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 7
oveimariemamn
in reply to: testsubject

No,in the window "Bill of Material Check" nothing happen when pressing the button if i change the data to a pdf instead. But in the window "Parts Catalog" it works .

It is possible to start IE by writing http:\\ first but by some very strange behavior from IE it changes the path from a "/" to a "\" and therefore can't find the file...

Message 4 of 7
testsubject

Thata is strange because that is the dialog box I used to test that it would work.

I put the filepath and name of a pdf in the weblink field and ACE had no problem opening the pdf when I clicked on "Web/View" in the Bill of Materials dialog box.

Maybe if you provide a couple of examples of what you are trying to do we can figure this out. (Text, Screen shots, etc)

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 5 of 7
oveimariemamn

This is the pathway written in the Weblink field K:\CAD\S04Vest\Slutdokumentation\Manualer\Sekundär apparater\switchdiss.pdf . Nothing happens when pressing the Web/View button...

For me the button Web/View only works if it is a web address like this  http://www.abb.com/product/seitp329/19130a55833d8efdc1256e89004019e9.aspx in the Weblink field.

Message 6 of 7
testsubject

I do not have anything more to offer. Assuming the file path that you listed exists, it should work.

I thought that maybe because there was a space in the filepath that that would cause a problem but 2013 had no trouble finding the pdf. I did purposefully mispell the filepath and tried and the weblink did nothing which is what I expected.

Maybe it is something about the version you are using.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of the file path. Could you try using a pdf that is in a short filepath (Like maybe something in the root drive.)

Is K a network drive? It so, is it active when you are trying to run this test?

Just a few questions to maybe help get you going. I am kind of stumped.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 7
oveimariemamn

Thank you very much Bob for the try,

To me it looks like a program bug,i'm useing the 2012 version.

It is really strange because it starts the Adobe reader from the "Catalog Lookup" window which you reach from "Panel Layout-" , but not from "Catalog Check".

Well anyway,it is not so big problem for me, i can live with itCat Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost