AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent/Slave XREF

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CAD-ICE
690 Views, 7 Replies

Parent/Slave XREF

Hi there,

I was experimenting on different way´s to show wiring of an inverter and came across this behaviour.

What I´m trying to accomplish is to show the powersection of the drive on a parent symbol and then I made a second slave symbol that´s supposed to show the digital inputs of the same drive. When inserting these two symbols I get an XREF on the parent pointing to terminals 17&18 on the slave symbol??

I´m not sure whats controlling this so If you guy´s have some hint´s I would appreciate som comments.

Attached is a screenshot of the behaviour and a copy of the two block´s in question.

Thanks and regards, Gary

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
testsubject
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Gary,

You seem to have found a hidden "feature" of Autocad Electrical.  😉

I tested you blocks and they are fine. There are a few typos in the parent drawing and I fixed those. There were 2 X2TERM03 connections and the X8TERMXX values should match the TERMXX values they are near.

Back to the issue.

When the Graphic Format is selected for cross-referencing, it apperently returns the last two terminals in the child block and inserts them on the parent. If you have Text Format selected, this does not happen. That would explain why I never saw it before. I only recently started working with IEC format icons.

It would seem to affect all Parent/Child relationships. I tried it with two standalone components that happened to have XREF atts in them and the same thing happened. It looks like the XREF value that already exists is replaced with the XREF that includes the contacts of the child. I also tried with a Pushbutton with a child light and the same thing occured.

Maybe it was assumed by the developer of the IEC code that all children have contacts. It is funny since there is no XREFNO or XREFNC but it replaces the XREF as if there was.

At this time, I do not have an answer for you. Maybe Doug or one of the ACE personnel have something. I am interested in seeing how this plays out because I am sure I will eventually see the same thing.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 8
CAD-ICE
in reply to: testsubject

Hi Bob,

thank´s for looking into this...strange feature isn´t it or a bug?

Also thank´s for trying out and correcting my block´s sorry about the typos though Smiley Frustrated

It´s going to be interesting to get some comments on this from Autodesk or maybe Dough could share his knowledge on this one?

Thank´s again.

Gary

Message 4 of 8
CAD-ICE

Seem´s that this post hasn´t caught Autodesk or Dough´s attention....?

I hope this extra note gives someone a wakeup call and we get a comment on this behaviour.

Regards, Gary

Message 5 of 8
Icemanau

As a workaround, I insert all contacts and inputs as seperate child components. This gives my XREF listing the proper information to display. There is also an extra TERMDESC?? attached to each contact for identification purpose. This ties back to the PINLIST database and get's filled automatically with the ident of the contact/input (INP01, or RLY03 for example) as given by the device manufacturer.

Usually there is a location box around any child components that are grouped together, with just the title of the location box filled in.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
Dag_Henrik

Hey!

I have bumped into this before, and belive to have found an adequate solution thanks to Gaituuth

(Se http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/X-ref-problem-with-childsymbols/td-p/3412663)

At your parent symbol, go to edit component. Under Cross-Refrence, check the “Component override” box. Then go to setup. Push the “Text Format” radio button.

Now the X-ref should show the page and path (Depending on your format off course) to the child component(s)

Message 7 of 8
rhesusminus
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Brad.

I see you write that you can get the TERMDESC?? attributes populated via the PINLIST database. How do you do this?

Can't find anything about this in the help files...

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 8
algerj

Well I would use a pin list to control the pins (if you want them shown).

IEC has an issue where the Pins are displayed instead of remaining hidden.

Oddly when you actually add an Embedded pinlist the issue disappears... But it causing another issue...the Pinlist is completely ignored.

I used your blocks after I added the the pinlist to the parent device it stopped showing the 17 and 18. But as I said the pinlist which should display at that point disappears... it stays embedded in the symbol, but I sure couldn't make the NO, NC or any other pin style showup.

I remember seeing the issue back in 2007 but I though it was fixed...I guess not.

Oh and the pin styles are as follows:

0 - Convertible Contact  

1-  Normally Open             

2 - Normally Closed 

3 - Form - C 

4 - Multiple - Pole (selector switches)

5 - Mutli-pin (any device with most then 2 pins to control and switch out, like a power supply)

You always start with the  Pin Style then the pins and the a semi-colon to end it, so we would see " 1,12,14; "

Which is a NO contact pair with pin 12 and pin 14.

On a side note, normally you use the pinlist driven by the Catalog number not and embedded one. (The pinlist is populated in the Default_Cat.mdb, its stored under its manufacturer, but its linked to a catalog number...so make sure the catalog number exists before you make a pinlist)

I hope this helps,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost