AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel layout Components

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Justin2012
1906 Views, 23 Replies

Panel layout Components

How can I add components to the panel layout thats not shown on the schematic like fuse holder etc?

If I use the multiple catalog method and add the fuse holder under the fuse will it link to the panel layout when I build my panel from the schematic? My goal is to have the BOM fo rthe panel layout the same as the schematic.

Also, how do you delete a child components without going through all the schematic?

Thanks for any guidance.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Icemanau
in reply to: Justin2012

I associated the footprint for a fuseholder with the fuses that I use. I select the fuse from the schematic list and the fuse holder pops up to be placed on the layout. To set this, start a panel dwg and select Insert Footprint (schematic list ).

Once you have the schematic list displayed, select one of the fuses you require the holder for. Now click on MANUAL and go to section 'A'. Find and select the appropriate fuse holder from your catalog list and ACADE will add that association to the footprint database.

You can also manually lookup footprints and insert them before associating them with the correct schematic component.

As for deleting a child component without having to go through ALL the schematics to find it. Use the surf command to bring up a list of the blocks associated with the tag you are after, select the one you want to delte from the list and GOTO that block. now you just exit the sruf command and delete the component or delete the component from within the surf command if you want. 

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 24
Justin2012
in reply to: Icemanau

Do I need to add the fuseholder to the fuse in the schematic(assembly or multiple catalog) before proceeding to the panel layout?When you click on manual the parent fuse catalog that's shown on the schematic list is displayed. Do I need to change it and replace with the fuseholder part #? Lets say I want to add not only the fuseholder but more components how is that done? Will this show on the panel BOM?

When you click on the surfer command and try to delete the parent item a note comes on saying the child cannot be delete? I want to delete everything thats tied to the parent item.

Let me know. Thanks. 

Message 4 of 24
Icemanau

I added the fuseholder to the fuse as a sub component. This way whenever I add a fuse, the correct holder is added at the same time. This fuseholder then shows up in the schematic BOM as well as the Panel BOM.

You could add the fuseholder using the Multiple Catalog button, but if you are going to be using a lot of fuses, it's better to add it as a sub component.

To add the fuseholder as a sub component you will nned to do the following...

1. Insert a fuse.

2. Click on the catalog lookup button.

3. Search for the Fuseholder, when found select the fuseholder and click on EDIT button.

4. Select the Assemblylist check box and in the associated text box add a code.

5. Select the code and Press CTRL-C to copy it to memory.

6. Click OK to exit the edit dialog.

7. Find the fuse you want to use, select it and click the EDIT button.

8. Find and check the Assemblycode box and then in the associated text box press CTRL-V to paste the code.

9. Click OK to exit the edit.

10. Now make sure the fuse is selected, and click on Catalog Check. You should see a listing for the fuse with the fuseholde underneath it.

If you have multiple fuses that use the same fuseholder, you can add the same code to their Assemblycode sections and the same fuseholder will be added to those.

If you want more than one part attached to a component, seperate the different codes using a semi colon (;).

Regards Brad

Message 5 of 24
Justin2012

I think I am getting hold of it now...must the fuseholder be a part (assembly or multiple catalog) of the fuse before I can tie both together? Let say the fuse is a stand alone item in the schematic with no other sub components. Can I still add the fuse holder to it when building the panel layout?

Also,when designing a panel layout using "insert footprint(Icon menu)", what TAG info do you put to tie the component to the schematic and also to avoid duplicate tag number? For example, the enclosure which is not in the schematic. How will you handle the tagging and link it to the schematic.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 24
Icemanau

Yes to the first question. You must have the fuseholder tied to the fuse to get the same tag. Whether that is as a subcomponent or as a multiple catalog item doesnt matter.

If you are inserting footprints using the Icon menu, the tag section has two buttons in the component edit dialog. One for a schematic list and the second for an external list. Just click on the schematic list and select the appropriate component from the list. ACADE will then associate that footprint with the schematic component you selected.

Regards Brad

Message 7 of 24
Justin2012

If thats the case, what component do you recommend to associate the enclosure, labels and bolts when using the schematic list under insert footprint(icon menu) ?

Thank you.

Message 8 of 24
testsubject

I never bothered tieing the hardware back to the schematic since there is not really any connection. These items just get inserted into the panel drawing and I do the BOM for the entire project which then captures these items. What is nice is that you can do individual BOMS for each panel/enclosure and this will give you the items needed for that section and then an overall BOM for the whole project for ordering everything.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 9 of 24
Justin2012
in reply to: testsubject

Got you and last question...it seems the schematic report is useless since it doesn't contain all the components(enclosure, nameplate) or when do you use schematic BOM ? So you agree that the panel layout BOM is 100% correct and should be use for purshasing since it has all the components (enclosure, nameplate)? 

Thanks for all te help.

Message 10 of 24
testsubject

Justin,

I would agree that the Pnel BOM is 100% for the panel drawing only.

The schematic BOM could include items that are not in the panel (i.e., photo-eyes and cables, motors and cables, etc).

I do a BOM of the entire project (schematics and panels/enclosures) when I want to do purchasing. This is 100% of the electrical parts on the machine (this BOM would not include frame parts or anything mechanical unless you create a multi-catalog to include them). There are some items that are duplicated in both the schematic and the panel but they are only counted once for the 100% BOM.

I hope that clears it up.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 11 of 24
Justin2012

Thank you.

Message 12 of 24
Icemanau

It depends on how your ordering is done. Some companies may have a seperate purchasing area for just the electrical components as compared to metalwork. The BOM could also be issued to various manufacturing sections for them to gather the components and build the the panel.

We have a mechanical section that builds the cubicles and the mechanical side of things (including bus bars) while the electrical section just builds the control panels before installing them into the cabinets. The schematic BOM is issued to the electrical section so they know what components are used in which panel and the same for the mechanical section with the cubicles.

The electrical could be in house supplied or the metalwork. It just depends on the company.

For a full BOM including metalwork, the panel BOM would be the way to go.

For just electrical items, the schematic one would be it.

It would all depend on your needs.

Regards Brad

Message 13 of 24
Justin2012
in reply to: Icemanau

When I insert the din rails and enclosure what tag # should I put?

Also, is it possible to have the panel BOM and schematic BOM to be the same?

Thanks.

Message 14 of 24
testsubject

Justin,

You could just match the table in the database; DI=dinrail, WW=Wireway, EN=Enclosure, etc.

Although I suppose it is possible to have both the schematic and panel BOM match, I have to ask, why? Why would you want photo-eyes (for example) to appear on your enclosure BOM when they are not there?  It would be a lot of extra work when all you have to do is do a BOM on the whole project to accomplish the same thing.

Of course I do not know your workflow which may require that you try to accomplish something like this.

Just my $0.02.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 15 of 24
Justin2012

I understand an dthanks for the input...

out of the box question, is it possible to have two titleblock on a project so when I use titleblock update it works correctly?

Also, when using Option B update block(same name), how can I pick a block in the icon menu just like the option A swap block?

Thanks.

Message 16 of 24
testsubject

There is no problem with having different Titleblocks in the same project. It is up to you to assign the appropriate attributes in each titleblock. You can have different information in the  WD_TB attribute in each tittleblock.

Option B in the Update/Swap block is meant for updating an existing block so there is no provision (AFAIK) for picking a symbol from the menu to update since you will pick the symbol from the drawing. You will be given the option to apply the update either drawing or project wide.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 17 of 24
Justin2012

How is that possible...the attributes and the titleblock setup is different for the two titleblock so when you do titleblock update some attributes will not be found. 

Please refer to the attachment and let me know

Thanks.

Message 18 of 24
testsubject

Each titleblock can have its own WD_TB attribute that is unique for that Titlblock. The Titleblock Update does not care if some of the attributes are not on a specific drawing. The error you saw is normal. Since those attributes are not on the second drawing, ACE will respond that it could not find them. Doesn't harm the Titleblock update though. It will continue on updating what it can find.

I have been doing it this way for years. I have a nameplate that goes on the machine that contains around 8 description values that are not on any other drawings.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 19 of 24
Justin2012

When using multiple catalog, how can I add our part to the multiple catalog components. The WD has a part# which is automatically copied to the other multiple catalog components which is not correct. The mutiple catalog components has different part numbers from that shown in the WD. I don't want to edit this in the report..I prefer automation.

Please let me know

Message 20 of 24
Justin2012

Please refer below. I don't want the item numbers(29) to be the same. I've changed the item numbering in the project manager but it is still not working. Also, how can I make the multiple catalog components in the panel not to have  item numbers? 

Capture1.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost