AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel components w/ same catalog data won't update item numbers

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
hbohm
1130 Views, 17 Replies

Panel components w/ same catalog data won't update item numbers

I'm using ACADE 2013 and the feature for updating item numbers for all components with the same catalog number in a drawing isn't working anymore. It was working fine in ACADE 2012.

For example: I have 6 relays that are all the same, so I place one in my panel drawing, and copy it 5 more times. Later on, just before I create my BOM report, I place my balloons and assign each part an item number. Once I assign an item number to the first relay, it SHOULD ask me if I want to update the remaining 5 relays with the same item number. But it doesnt....

Has this been removed from the program? Or is there a setting that I forgot to change when we upgraded to 2013? Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
OP21
in reply to: hbohm

I have the same issue.  The item number is assigned to the component but doesn't update automatically.

I also noticed that the "next" item number shows the assigned number (so the database knows what the assisgned number of that component is...) but the Item Number Field is blank until you either click the "next" button or click "find for it to update the item number. The automatic update dialog box for similar assigned part numbers never comes up.

I'm also left wondering is there is a setting un-checked or some other problem/database issue.

Anyone else with the issue?

Thanks,

Omar

AutoCAD Electrical 2013 (Access 2010, Win 7/64)

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 3 of 18
oharadi
in reply to: OP21

I am also having the same issue. It's very frustrating so I use an earlier version (ACADE 2012) for updating my components. This should not be necessary. Has there been any resolution to this?

Message 4 of 18
hbohm
in reply to: oharadi

I still haven't heard of a solution. But the quickest way I've found to do a mass update of the item number per part number, is using the Quick Select tool. Just select Block Reference under Object Type, then Name under Properties. Select the block you want, then click OK. Now look at the Properties box (or Quick Properties if you have it enabled) for all selected blocks. In order to use this, your blocks must have the "P_ITEM" attribute, then you can change the P_ITEM value to whatever number you want and press enter. This is STILL a huge pain! But like I said, it's the quickest way I've found, short of editing each and every block on the page one at a time...

Message 5 of 18
oharadi

I actually use the P_Item for my terminal blocks but I have not used it for components since it will only update the block and not link back and update the item number in the schematic. I may use it until a solution for ACADE 2013 arises. Thank you very much for the response.

Message 6 of 18
hbohm

Same here, we have been getting by without updating the schematic item number, but this at least helps us create our BOM for the panel layout pages. Regards.

Message 7 of 18
mcronin

I'm also having the same problem. Very time consuming. Using an earlier release works ok but in 2013 there is also another problem, most project wide updates save the drawings in 2013 format even if you have an earlier release selected in options/open and save. So now you have to back save each drawing in the project. Still time consuming!

Message 8 of 18
dougmcalexander

Version 2011 introduced improved functionality where the Panel>Resequence Item Numbers utility can automatically assign item numbers project-wide in alpha-numeric order according to the manufacturer name, or you can re-order the sort to list the manufacturers in your preferred order.  Version 2013 back annotates the schematic equivalent symbol with the same item number, including any parts listed under Multiple Catalog.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 9 of 18
Icemanau

Just some quick questions here....

You said you inserted the block and then copied it five times in your example. Are you assigning these blocks to schematic components?

Do you still have the problem if you insert the blocks using the Panel layout from schematic list tool?

When you insert the blocks are you using any of the panel layout block insertion tools or are you using the plain ACAD insert block function?

If you do a full project rebuild after inserting the blocks (and assigning them to schematic parts) do you still have the same problem?

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 10 of 18
hbohm
in reply to: Icemanau

Yes I am assigning them to schematic components.

I should mention that we use our own custom panel menu that inserts our own blocks that contain the proper ACADE attributes.

The reason I liked this missing feature so much, is because we like to order the item numbers in the BOM ourselves rather than let ACADE choose the item numbering by manufacturer. We generally start from the top left of the panel and number them down and to the right so the numbers are all in order. Now that it doesn't update the item numbers per component for us, we have to manually change them all.

And I do like to insert from the Schematic List under the Panel tab, but there is no way we can guess the order the components will be in on the enclosure back panel ahead of time during schematic creation. I guess if this feature doesn't come back, we will have to start letting ACADE do our item numbering for us, because it's getting really time consuming doing it by hand.

Message 11 of 18
dougmcalexander

The advantage of letting the software handle the item numbering is that it can do it accurately in seconds.  Plus it will assign item numbers to subassembly parts listed under Multiple Catalog as part of the process. And now with version 2013, schematic component and panel footprint item numbers are both maintained automatically.  I understand the idea of numbering according to placement in the panel, but if you balloon everything it is easy to find them on the BOM by their number.  Another advantage you get by allowing the software to item number automatically is that the BOM will be organized by manufacturer, making it easy for purchasing agents to go down the list and order all parts needed from each manufacturer.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 12 of 18
oharadi
in reply to: dougmcalexander

That sounds great but some companies have standards they have maintained for years. Originally AutoCAD gave the option so why would they now take that option away and make the system less flexible? Is the only option to do it Autodesk's way or increase design time by hours? Are there plans to restore the option in a patch or in 2014? If not, shifting back to 2012, like the rest of our department, seems like the best option.

Message 13 of 18
dougmcalexander

I have no idea what Autodesk has planned.  I haven't seen firsthand the problem you are having, but I can't imagine how it is quicker to assign the item numbers manually versus allowing the software to do it.  I just tried changing the item number on a panel footprint and it updated the related schematic symbol.  I then changed the item number on the schematic symbols and it updated the panel footprint.

Doug McAlexander

Message 14 of 18
OP21

The issue I have is that once the part number is selected and the item number assigned to the component, the next time the same component is inserted (via panel insertion tools not plain insert) the panel component dialog box does not post the "known" item number even after a prjoect rebuild/refresh...  Item comes up blank while the "next" part number shows the item number that was just assigned.  It's frustrating to force the item number on each insertion to allow an accurate count in the BOM report...  

It seems that something is missing compared to 2012 where the "known" item number was posted automatically in the dialog box on subsequent insertions of the same part. 

Regards,

Omar

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 15 of 18
dougmcalexander

Is this with schematic components or panel footprints?  I just inserted a fuse on a schematic page and assigned the same part number as another fuse on the same drawing and the software automatically assigned the same item number to the new fuse.

Doug McAlexander

Message 16 of 18
OP21

Panel components and manually inserted terminals...  (Terminals may exist from schematics or exist on the panel layout only not yet added to the schematics)...

Hope this helps!
Omar

Message 17 of 18
dougmcalexander

I inserted a spare terminal strip using the Terminal Strip Editor.  I assigned the same part number as previously inserted terminal strips.  After I inserted the strip, I edited one of the footprints to check the item number.  The item number is blank, but the suggested next available number, 25 in my case, was actually the same number that was previously assigned.  It wasn't simply the next available number that had not been used.  I had item numbers up to 36 already used.  Also, if I click Item>Find, the software found number 25.  I agree that it should automatically fill in the Item field with the previously assigned number but at least it can fill it in when I click Next or Item>Find.

I did run across another issue.  I tried inserting a fuse footprint that already exists on my panel layout.  Instead of clicking Lookup to find the part number I clicked Drawing to use the same part number that was previously assigned to the other fuses.  The software reported no other fuse part numbers used, even though this is not the case.  It is of course looking for symbols on the drawing with a WDBLKNAM value of FU. My fuse footprints contain a WDBLKNAM with a value of FU.  However, I noticed that after I inserted my fuse footprints, the software changed the WDBLKNAM attribute to a value of FU1.  When I manually edit the footprint and change it back to FU, the software was able to find the previously used part numbers on the drawing.  So there are indeed some issues with regard to how the software tracks item numbers for previously inserted footprints, and even previously assigned part numbers.

Doug McAlexander

Message 18 of 18
OP21

Not sure if any other updates have been posted to this or thru another thread but, it seems that the problem still persists in Electrical 2014... What happened to the Item Mismatch warning? Are there any other users experiencing the same issues?

If Autodesk could check to see why the Item Mismatch does not show (was working in 2012 but not in 2013 and 2014)...or if anyone knows of a fix to get this functionality back to avoid repeated (time consuming) clicks to update the Item Numbers I'd appreciate it? 

See example:

Item Mismatch 2012

Hope this helps!
Omar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost