AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

dlash
Message 1 of 21 (124 Views)

Page Numbering

124 Views, 20 Replies
06-08-2004 09:30 AM
We are converting from doing electrical prints with some lisp routines we wrote & our own blocks to ACADE.

In our current setup we divide our drawings into sections. Is it possible to get ACADE to restart page numbering at the start of a new section?

Darren
Distinguished Contributor
MartinLee
Message 2 of 21 (124 Views)

Re: Page Numbering

06-08-2004 11:13 AM in reply to: dlash
I am not aware of anything that will do this. My company also divides the drawings into sections, so if there is a way to do this I am interested also. Currently, we have a "Prototype" project that contains at least one sheet for each section. When we start a new project, we do a "Project Copy" of the prototype, then add sheets as needed.

Perhaps the fine folks at Autodesi can come up with a way to create a specified number of new sheets within a project (using a template) and then the drawing numbers and shee numberst information could be entered at that time.

Martin
*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 3 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 01:09 PM in reply to: dlash
ACE works best if each section (sheet) was in its own independent drawing. It is designed around this whole paradym. I am unaware of how to do it using your setup. How would the software "know" what sheet was what? Top down.left,right? I have been using it for over 7 years now and cannot imagine doing it any different. It would seem that it would take a lot more work for ACE to do it the way you do it. There is a bit of a learning curve and I still sometimes have to go back and redo an old package when I come to it, but has been worth it in the over all timesavings I have experienced.

Martin,

How have you been able to auto-renumber the sheets since %S is drawing dependent? (Just curious)

Robert Hanrahan
Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co.
ACE user since 1997
Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
dlash
Message 4 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 01:17 PM in reply to: dlash
I think you are misunderstanding the question. In the project setup when you insert your drawings you can also sub-divide the project drawings (sheets) by section. It is still a separate page/sheet/drawing. For example, all of our Panel Layouts are in Section 4 so the sheet numbers look like 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc.

Next all the schematics are in Section 5.

All the General Arrangements are in Section 7.

Flow sheets are in Section 8, etc.

<>

I haven't and that presents a problem.

Darren
Message was edited by: dlash
*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 5 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 02:17 PM in reply to: dlash
Yes indeed. I did misunderstand the question. I have come across others who had multiple sheets per drawing and wanted to keep it that way. I though that is what you were getting at.

I understand your problem now. I realize that this is not the best answer, but, did you try to just renumber each section, 1 section at a time restarting sheet 01 each time? If the Sec/Sub was part of your titleblock attributes (i.e., YourSheetNo=DwgSec-%S) then it would pass through. I am not sure if there may be another way. At least would partially automate the process.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Robert Hanrahan
ACE user since 1997
Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
rstein
Message 6 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 02:19 PM in reply to: dlash
Hi testsubject this is Rob from the Events. Nice seeing you still helping out with the discussion groups. I beleve that you did mis-understand the question,.
What I think you will need to do is the following.

In each drawing you have the WD_M block that holds the configuration for that drawing. You can change the %S value here. then If you do a re-sequence you can opt to not resequence this value. At this point you would be able to change any sheet, in any section to re-start at 001 or whatever your sheet numbering convention is.
I hope this helps, let me know if it does or doesn't, I might be able to record a short avi for you if needed.
dlash
Message 7 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 02:21 PM in reply to: dlash
<< I have come across others who had multiple sheets per drawing and wanted to keep it that way.>>

Yes, that is exactly the old way our drawings were set up. But with the project management features of ACADE, I see no reason to keep it that way. Plus it is a pain trying to show a customer how to navigate the drawing set, even though we have lisp routines that automate much of this.

Thanks,

Darren
*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 8 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 02:22 PM in reply to: dlash
Hi Rob. Any word on the UG?

Robert Hanrahan
ACE user since 1997
Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 9 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 02:24 PM in reply to: dlash
No problem Darren. I wish that I could have given you a better answer.

Bob
Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
rstein
Message 10 of 21 (124 Views)

06-08-2004 02:27 PM in reply to: dlash
Stil Working on getting it up and running. the first ones will probably be in Michigan, then move out from there. Just have to get enough interest from users.

I have been building content ideas for the first several.
do you have any ideas to add to my list.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.