AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One wire color/gauge labels for multiple wires

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
vacu82
718 Views, 3 Replies

One wire color/gauge labels for multiple wires

Hello,

Is there any option for adding only one wire color/gauge label for more than one wire? Of course wires have the same color/gauge. Very often I have the situation that I have many wires, one very close to another, and there's no space for wire labels and I need to add labels for all wires for manufacturing purposes. Until now I just manually duplicated leader for each wire (but I had only one label) which is not the best idea but I couldn't find anything better than this. The problem is that now I need to use ACADE 2013 and it's not possible to copy/paste the leader - wire label is one object toegether with the leader. I there any other way of adding one wire label for more than one wire?

Regards,

vacu

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: vacu82

There is no automatic way to accomplish your request. I don't use leaders. I place one wire/color gauge label per network and I insert it immediately above the wire with no leader. Manufacturing technicians are astute and know that all wires in that network are defined by the one color/gauge label.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
vacu82
in reply to: dougmcalexander

"There is no automatic way to accomplish your request."

😕

"I don't use leaders. I place one wire/color gauge label per network and I insert it immediately above the wire with no leader. Manufacturing technicians are astute and know that all wires in that network are defined by the one color/gauge label."

Thanks for the answer. The problem is that I need to follow a kind of standard so I need to use leades even if I don't want to 😕 I've found some solution, it's not very good (I hate doing these kind of things) but at least it's easy to find a mistake (when I'll use wrong wire to make a connection). I just put one label just over another and they look like one label (of course if wires are the same type and color but if not - you see a spaghetti monster 🙂 instead of a label so you know that something is wrong immediately). It looks like this:

And if ther's an error:

Message 4 of 4
Cor_Blimey
in reply to: vacu82

I've come up with a way to do what you want. Please see the attached file.
1. Drop these into any drawing, and now you will have block definitions for my LOOP, LOOP2, and LOOP3 blocks. Feel free to edit as needed or add LOOP4, etc. The LOOP2 block has a loop that fits 2 wires, LOOP3 fits 3 wires, etc. at 0.5" spacing. You can edit the block definitions to fit your spacing.
2. To make this work, when you go to create a Wire Color Label, in the dialog box, click the Setup button.
3. In the "Arrow Type" selections, choose User Arrow, which will allow you to pick from a list of block definitions in your drawing.
4. Choose "LOOP2" or "LOOP3". You'll have to do this every time you want to put a different sized loop.
5. Click OK in both dialog boxes so you're back in the drawing. Select the wire closest to where you want the leader text. The insertion point is inside the loop where it would cross the first wire closest to the leader text. The loop will extend in the opposite direction as the leader text.

This provides an automated method for creating one color and gauge leader that applies to multiple wires. Sorry for answering a 5-year-old forum. I was looking for a way to do this and came across your question. After I worked out a way to do it, I thought I'd share my solution in case it helps anyone else. If this works for you, please mark it as a solution. Thanks!

Cory Benson

Controls & Electrical Design Engineer

Factory Automation

Amsted Rail Co., Inc. - Brenco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost