AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Gagg
Message 11 of 18 (350 Views)

Re: One Line Diagram Help!

09-28-2012 11:42 AM in reply to: Gagg

Do I have to insert all the "required" tags?  If there are any errors errors found in the symbol, will this cause them not to work?

*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 12 of 18 (348 Views)

09-28-2012 11:47 AM in reply to: Gagg

A quick look shows that you are missing all the info that is needed in the symbol to make it intelligent:

I recommend using Symbol Builder which will provide you with all the attributes that need to be on a symbol to make it intelligent.

You also need to change the way you name symbols.

ACE uses the following format:

1st Char - H or V for horizontal or vertical insertion.

2 and 3 char - the family code for th esymbol; i.e., CR for relays, MO for motors, SS for selector switches. This is how ACE knows which table to look in in the database for part information.

4 char - 1 for the Parent Symbol and 2 for the Child Symbol

5 char - 1 is a NO contact, 2 is a NC Contact. Used mostly with relay children symbols and switches.

6 char and up - these can be whatever you want to make the symbol distinctive.

Here is a wiki that goes into it in more detail

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/2011/Help/User's_Guide/104SymbolLibraries/1085Li...

Hope this helps.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Gagg
Message 13 of 18 (340 Views)

09-28-2012 12:43 PM in reply to: testsubject

Thank you for the quick reply. I did use symbol builder when I created them. I changed name and file save location though, should I keep ace's default naming and save location. It sounds like that would help. I am just trying to create a basic line diagram, my blocks do not need to be intelligent(except for wire connectin points). Should I just attach them as xrefs and connect the wires to a spot on the box, not an actual "terminal". I have a feeling I am making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Thank you again

Gagg
Message 14 of 18 (334 Views)

09-28-2012 01:26 PM in reply to: testsubject

Ok it appears that renaming the block accouding to the way Bob explained has fixed the problem. THANK YOU!!

*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 15 of 18 (331 Views)

09-28-2012 02:05 PM in reply to: Gagg

Not a problem. I like to help.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Gagg
Message 16 of 18 (326 Views)

09-28-2012 02:29 PM in reply to: testsubject

I thoight it fixed the issue but it didn't. Im getting closer but not 100%. Thanks again tho

LucioE
Message 17 of 18 (30 Views)

09-25-2014 05:03 PM in reply to: Gagg

Hi,

Maybe is to late, but I had the same problem, I created a new symbol and when i try to connect a wire it didnt do, so then I try several times and I found a little solution, I  dont know if it works for you but here you go: 

1. select the wire icon.

2. click the new component created close to a pin or point wire connection, (remember iside the new component) 

3. the wire connect for itself in the poit more close, so then you can connect the wire to the line or connector wherever you want to....

I hope some body help this little tip...

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 18 of 18 (27 Views)

09-25-2014 07:00 PM in reply to: LucioE

First of all, when you design a new block, make sure that you draw it the geometry and insert the attributes using a grip snap.

It makes the resulting block look a lot neater and the attributes actually end up where you need them in regards to the wire connection points.

Also make sure the position of the base point suits the block.

It's no good having the base point in the middle of the line when the attributes used to mark the wire connection points are offset from the line used to indicate the path through the block.

Secondly, with the filename, you have to use the first 5 characters that ACADE assigns, anything after that can be used as a sorht description.

For example a block I created for a protection relay would be named as follows.

HPR2_10S4L4R.dwg used for CT input into a protection relay.

H for Horizontal - required by ACADE

PR for Protection Relay - This is the FAMILY of the block and is required by ACADE

2 designates a child Block - again required by ACADE.

_ used for some specific blocks to denote certain functions - required by ACADE.

10S - 10mm wire spacing - indicates what terminal spacing I used for this block

4L4R -  indicates how many connections on the left and on the right of the block.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.