AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Line Diagram Help!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Gagg
2812 Views, 17 Replies

One Line Diagram Help!

Hello all, I am using ACE to create one line diagrams for various low voltage systems, audio/video distribution, control etc. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect a wire(line) to a block that I created.  I have gone through the steps to create a symbol through the symbol builder, added wire connection points etc.  When I place the block I cannot get the wires to attach to the connection points.......what am I missing...  Basically my blocks are just rectangles that I need to attach wires to, very basic, just a one line diagram of components that will show the contractor how stuff is hooked up. I guess the key word here is "attach". Is there a way to have the wire attach to the component so that if I need to move the component around on the sheet the wire stays connected, this seems very basic and I think im missing something. Thank you greatly for your time in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Icemanau
in reply to: Gagg

First of all, when inserting a wire to connect to a block, hit 'X' and then return. This will show all available connection points as a small green cross on the block.

Second, you should be using the Scoot command to move blocks along wires, and to move the wires themselves. This maintains all the appropriate connections. The 'Component Move' command is for moving the block from one wire to another. There is also the 'Circuit Move' command to move a circuit (components and wires) around on the dwg while maintaing the links within that circuit.

When using Electrical, you should be trying to keep away from the standard ACAD commands as they don't update the project information.

Finally, if you are having problems with a block you created, can you please attach a copy of the block so we can look at it and see if the problem is with the block itself or with the workflow... It may help make the resolution to your problem appear a lot quicker if the block is at fault.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 18
Gagg
in reply to: Icemanau

OMG i think this is what i was missing.....dam Scoot!!! You are awesome Brad, I am going to try it now.  So this Scoot command is also used for the end of a wire also? I never thought of it as scooting if it was on the end of a wire. Thank you again!!!

Message 4 of 18
Gagg

Thanks again Brad, I am now closer to what I am trying to do.  So the scoot command scoots blocks/components along a wire but dosent seem to "move" the block to a different location on the drawing area. Im missing something again, hmm.

Message 5 of 18
Icemanau

To move a block to a different wire requires you to use the Move Component tool. I use toolbars rather than the ribbon, so I'm not sure where it is located there. On the toolbars, it's located under the Scoot command on its sub menu.

To move a component/s AND associated wire/s You would use the Move Circuit command. Again, on the toolbar it's on the Circuit submenu.

Both of those commands will allow you to select a component (or several along with wires in the Circuit command) and move it anywhere on the dwg.

Scoot will allow you to adjust the position of a wire if you click on it. It's not just for components. However it does have more limitations than the other two commands.

Scooting a component will only move the component along that branch of the wire until it gets close to a existing component or the wire changes direction. If you need to move the component to a section of the wire after the wire changes direction, you will need the move component command.

Regards Brad

Message 6 of 18
testsubject

From the Ribbon, you select the Schematic Tab, then the Edit Components section, then under the Scoot Pulldown you will find Move Component.Move Component.jpg

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 18
Gagg
in reply to: testsubject

Thank you both for the awesome help! I will try this out and report back.

Message 8 of 18
Gagg

Ok so I had a few minutes to mess with stuff today and am still getting closer thanks to all the replies already. NOW my question is, is there a way to "Move Component" after you have connected wires without the wires disconnecting?  I am referring to components that are on the ends of wires, since the drawings that I am doing only show components on the ends of wires and the reason that I would move the component would be to rearrange the visuall layout of the components on the sheet, no other reason.  Thank you again for all the help!!!!

Message 9 of 18
Icemanau

Same commands as before actually with the same limitations.

Using scoot on a component at the end of the wire will move the component up and down the wire length and also allow you to exted the wire.

As before Scoot will move the wire (and any connected components) perpindicular to the orientation of the wire.

Regards Brad

Message 10 of 18
Gagg

Hello again. So I have created a bunch of very basic custom symbols/components, basically boxes with wire connection points, and when I insert them in a drawing they break apart and do not insert correctly. The very first symbol that I create inserts fine but any that I insert after that break apart and do not look or function correctly. When I open the symbols by themselves they appear correctly.  I fear that it is some sort of conflict between the symbols. I attached a couple for you guys to look at. Thank you again for all the help.

Message 11 of 18
Gagg

Do I have to insert all the "required" tags?  If there are any errors errors found in the symbol, will this cause them not to work?

Message 12 of 18
testsubject

A quick look shows that you are missing all the info that is needed in the symbol to make it intelligent:

I recommend using Symbol Builder which will provide you with all the attributes that need to be on a symbol to make it intelligent.

You also need to change the way you name symbols.

ACE uses the following format:

1st Char - H or V for horizontal or vertical insertion.

2 and 3 char - the family code for th esymbol; i.e., CR for relays, MO for motors, SS for selector switches. This is how ACE knows which table to look in in the database for part information.

4 char - 1 for the Parent Symbol and 2 for the Child Symbol

5 char - 1 is a NO contact, 2 is a NC Contact. Used mostly with relay children symbols and switches.

6 char and up - these can be whatever you want to make the symbol distinctive.

Here is a wiki that goes into it in more detail

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/2011/Help/User's_Guide/104SymbolLibraries/1085Li...

Hope this helps.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 13 of 18
Gagg

Thank you for the quick reply. I did use symbol builder when I created them. I changed name and file save location though, should I keep ace's default naming and save location. It sounds like that would help. I am just trying to create a basic line diagram, my blocks do not need to be intelligent(except for wire connectin points). Should I just attach them as xrefs and connect the wires to a spot on the box, not an actual "terminal". I have a feeling I am making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Thank you again

Message 14 of 18
Gagg

Ok it appears that renaming the block accouding to the way Bob explained has fixed the problem. THANK YOU!!

Message 15 of 18
testsubject

Not a problem. I like to help.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 16 of 18
Gagg

I thoight it fixed the issue but it didn't. Im getting closer but not 100%. Thanks again tho

Message 17 of 18
LucioE

Hi,

Maybe is to late, but I had the same problem, I created a new symbol and when i try to connect a wire it didnt do, so then I try several times and I found a little solution, I  dont know if it works for you but here you go: 

1. select the wire icon.

2. click the new component created close to a pin or point wire connection, (remember iside the new component) 

3. the wire connect for itself in the poit more close, so then you can connect the wire to the line or connector wherever you want to....

I hope some body help this little tip...

Message 18 of 18
Icemanau
in reply to: LucioE

First of all, when you design a new block, make sure that you draw it the geometry and insert the attributes using a grip snap.

It makes the resulting block look a lot neater and the attributes actually end up where you need them in regards to the wire connection points.

Also make sure the position of the base point suits the block.

It's no good having the base point in the middle of the line when the attributes used to mark the wire connection points are offset from the line used to indicate the path through the block.

Secondly, with the filename, you have to use the first 5 characters that ACADE assigns, anything after that can be used as a sorht description.

For example a block I created for a protection relay would be named as follows.

HPR2_10S4L4R.dwg used for CT input into a protection relay.

H for Horizontal - required by ACADE

PR for Protection Relay - This is the FAMILY of the block and is required by ACADE

2 designates a child Block - again required by ACADE.

_ used for some specific blocks to denote certain functions - required by ACADE.

10S - 10mm wire spacing - indicates what terminal spacing I used for this block

4L4R -  indicates how many connections on the left and on the right of the block.

Regards Brad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost