AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One 4-poles circuit breaker: ACE sees 4 circuit breakers

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
8980 Views, 11 Replies

One 4-poles circuit breaker: ACE sees 4 circuit breakers

In this forum I have learned how to transform a 3-poles circuit breaker in a circuit breaker 4 poles with this command:
wd_3 unit Qxxx Qxxx Qxxx Qxxx 
where Qxxx it's a generic 3-poles circuit breaker that i want to tranform in 4-poles circuit breaker.
Cool but there is a problem.
After I drew all the circuits of my electrical plant/machine I prepare reports and terminal with automatic procedures of autocad: in this step there is a problem:  For one 4-poles circuit breaker (for example Q3) ACE sees 4 separate circuit breakers (Q3, Q, Q,Q ), not only Q3!
So problem with automatic reports and automatic terminal that put in drawing 4 separate circuit breakers Q3, Q, Q,Q.
How can i solve?
It's important because in Italy we use 4 poles CB almost always

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Icemanau
in reply to: Anonymous

When you inserted the block, did you specify the correct sumbol for the additional poles?

It sounds like you used the same symbol for all four poles which would create this sort error.

Thee command should read wd_3 unit VCB11THI VCB21THI VCB21THI VCB21THI based on your attached screen shot.

The fourth character in the symbol name is the identification for a parent symbol or a child symbol.

If you use the parent symbol for all four poles, ACADE will see four different breakers.

A PARENT symbol is the one that normally has all the catalog data and a list of other componentns that ACADE ties to it.

The CHILD symbol normally has the part identification and a link back to to the parent symbol.

To fix your dwg, use the SWAP/UPDATE command and select the appropriate symbol from the 'Circuit Breaker 2nd+ Poles' sub menu in Circuit Breakers and then select each of the additional poles. Acknowledge the warning and proceed for all three.

Next, you need to edit each child symbol, click on 'Parent/Sibling' and select the first pole as the parent for the breaker.

Finally, do a project update and then you should find that ACADE is only reporting the one 4 pole CB in that dwg.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

thank you but you give me a lessons with only word , so it very difficult to me to understand how i can do the right procedure, can you give me a screenshot series that explane the procedure?

i need only one symbol for the four poles, like normal 3 poles CB that there are in IEC ACE library , they have one symbol for 3 poles

Message 4 of 12
dougmcalexander

The multi-pole symbols in AutoCAD Electrical are designed to adapt to almost any wire spacing. Brad has given you the correct method for adding a 4-pole symbol to the menu that will adapt to varying wire spacing.   If you want a symbol that already has all poles included, at a fixed spacing, you can create this using Symbol Builder. Be sure to select the correct category for the new symbol,  like CB, DS, etc., so you get the proper attribute template.

Hint: With a fixed all-inclusive symbol there will be no need for a child symbol. The new symbol will be added to the menu as a normal symbol.  You won't use the command trigger method and the wd_3unit trigger.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 12
Icemanau

All screen shots are utilising the IEC menu so don't worry if the symbols look different.

First screen shot shows the single pole CB entries in the component selection

CB Parent.JPG

This shot shows the 2nd pole menu which allows you to add additional poles and auxilliary contacts.

CB Child.JPG

The different attributes between parent (Left) and child (Right) blocks.

Parent-Child exploded.JPG

Finally, the command I have set up in my Icon Menu to insert a 4 pole CB. IF you type this in, you should get the 4 pole breaker you desire or you can add it to your Icon Menu.

4 Pole Icon Menu entry.JPG

You will notice that I have not bothered to change the icon image from the 3 pole image however the command will insert the 4 pole breaker with no problems.

I added a 4 Pole CB sub menu to the main CB directory which has all the three pole breakers copied and edited to insert a 4 pole CB.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

thank you so much,  now I understand, Smiley Very Happy

I had already created (with a procedure similar to yours) a personal 4-poles  CB library  but I made this error: "wd3_unit VCB11Q9 VCB11Q9 VCB11Q9 VCB11Q9 ", my error is that i write 4 equal VC113Q9

The exact procedure is instead "wd3_unit VCB11Q9 VCB21Q9 VCB21Q9 VCB21Q9" where the Poles are taken from"second poles" library
This is a problem for every European ACE user because in europe (especially in Italy) we use 4 poles CB for electrical power distribution
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I discovered this:

Primary/father pole name VCB1xQx

Second/son  pole name VCB2xQx

At the father name it is necessary to change only the fourth numbere from 1 to 2

Message 8 of 12
Icemanau

Glad you got it sorted...

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

CB 4 poles It's a important problem of italian and european user
Message 10 of 12
dougmcalexander

You can always add additional poles to a 3-pole device using 2nd+ child symbols. That has always been available. Join the child to the 3-pole symbol with a dashed link line.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

ok for me ICEMANAU solution it's a very good solution
Message 12 of 12
dougmcalexander

I agree.  I've taught that method for many years.  But I don't want other readers to think that the software was designed without an option for handling 4-pole devices.  You can add as many poles as needed using 2nd+ method.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost