AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Align options when in Symbol Builder ...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
clyons
684 Views, 3 Replies

Object Align options when in Symbol Builder ...

Using ACADE 2014 (new user).

Appears the normal ACAD ALIGN command is not available in Block Editor.   Really need symbols to have lots of aligned objects, so why is ALIGN not supported?  Are there any other options for aligning objects when building symbols? Appreciate any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: clyons

The Align utility is used to align blocks that have ben inserted into a drawing.  It is not a block editing tool.  The alignment uses the basepoint of the blocks as an origin. Until you save a block you have no basepoint for the Align utility to use.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
drathak
in reply to: dougmcalexander

@dougmcalexander wrote:

The Align utility is used to align blocks that have ben inserted into a drawing.  It is not a block editing tool.  The alignment uses the basepoint of the blocks as an origin. Until you save a block you have no basepoint for the Align utility to use.

I believe he was referring to ALIGN, not AEALIGN.  Normally, ALIGN command will work on normal objects.  (Although I don't exactly follow how it's supposed to work.)  But it is also disabled in the block editor.

One way around this, if you understand ALIGN (please teach me?) would be to open the block directly and bypass the editor and do your alignment.  Then save it and go back to using the editor if you prefer that or need authoring elements.

**Ok, I went and found out how the ALIGN command works, and it's not a lot better than simply moving your pieces manually.  You could probably write a pretty simple LISP or script routine to do it if you have a lot.  Another approach might be to use an array to rebuild whatever you are doing.  An example might help.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 4 of 4
Icemanau
in reply to: drathak

Easiest way I've found to align something in the block editor is to use the SNAP option.

Combine the snap with having the crosshairs at 100 and you can align something with no hassle.

The only thing you have to worry about then is getting the snap spacing right.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost