AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFPA: Schematic Symbols Insertion Point Problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sdomke
1787 Views, 6 Replies

NFPA: Schematic Symbols Insertion Point Problem

I am having trouble with the insertion point on some schematic symbols provided with the NFPA library.

When inserting the symbol, the insertion point is nowhere near the symbol itself (the insertion point is way to the upper right area of the symbol).

I have edited the symbols with Symbol Builder and verified that the components of the symbol are indeed centered around the 0,0 point.

The symbols I have discovered that exhibit this behavior are:

Relays – Form C Contact [HCR23]

Heating Elements – Heating Element (alternate) [HRE1HTACT]

What technique can I use to correct the insertion point for these symbols?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
OP21
in reply to: sdomke

Open the block and type INSBASE to see if it is set at (0,0), it's possible that the symbol is centered around 0,0 but the value is something else...

Hope this helps!

Omar

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 3 of 7
jared.bunch

Hi sdomke

I'm sorry you've encountered the error with these symbols.  I'll make sure our QA department is notified of these errors.

From your comments it appears as though you've already edited the wblocks in the library and are trying to update the drawings to use the new wblock versions rather than those that are cached in the dwg file.  In this case you can leverage the Swap/Update Block (the update portion) command to update the block reference that is cached in the dwg.  I've tried this and it works, the only thing you'll have to do is move the instances of the blocks that were already placed in the drawing because they will move due to their newly defined insertion point.  In some cases it may be easier to first delete those blocks you have in the drawing (all but one as you'll need one to select to run the swap/update block command) then simply re-insert them was the update is completed.  Note that this will need to be done for any drawing that you've inserted the incorrect instances of those blocks on (the commadn does have a project-wide option too).

Hopefully this helps!

Jared Bunch
Principal Experience Designer
Message 4 of 7
sdomke

Thank you Omar and Jared. I have solved this issue as follows:

To correct this issue, edit the symbol with symbol editor.

Type INSBASE at the command prompt, you will notice that the current values are:

18.4999, 12.0003, 0 for HCR23

8.5, 12, 0 for HRE1HTALT

To correct the incorrect insertion point base (thank you Omar!):

Type “0,0,0” at the prompt

Save the symbol

Execute a block Swap/Update Block

Message 5 of 7
mathalekar

Hello,

We have taken note of this issue in our system. Thanks for reporting.

Message 6 of 7
sonny3g
in reply to: mathalekar

While you are at it, check the rest of your symbols too.  Many of them have this problem or similar problems.  For instance, text style and size is not uniform across related symbols.  A parent contact may have different size text as the child contact does.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 7 of 7
mathalekar

Hello Scott,

We have noted this observation already and taking appropriate action for the same.

Thanks for highlighting the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost