AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Contributor
MReed
Message 1 of 17 (92 Views)

New to AE

92 Views, 16 Replies
07-01-2004 06:55 AM
Since I'm a new AE user, I'll probably have lots of good questions...thanks upfront for the replies...
Now, I have realized that AE is for the most part Allen Bradley driven...since I use more Siemens PLC and Automation controls, does anyone have any Siemens library buile for AE they would be interested in sharing?
Might save me months of rework (then again, that's good job security hahaha)
Distinguished Contributor
rstein
Message 2 of 17 (92 Views)

Re: New to AE

07-01-2004 07:03 AM in reply to: MReed
I don't think it would be months of re-work. do you have AutoCAD Electrical 2004 or 2005.
If you have AutoCAD Electrical 2005 you now have a nice feature (PLC Module Builder). this is a nice user interface that helps you build your modules rather quickly. you should be able to do 1 in probably about 10 minutes or so. I would think that you could probably do them on the fly as you need them.

Thanks
Rob Stein
Contributor
MReed
Message 3 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 07:11 AM in reply to: MReed
Only using 2004. Not sure if we are going to upgrade at this point or not.
I have been "building on the fly" so I guess for now that's the best way to go...thx
*TestSubject_US
Message 4 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 07:18 AM in reply to: MReed
Welcome to the wonderful world of ACE. Although the start up may seem daunting, the rewards are worth it! I am an Automation Direct man myself so I do not have any Siemens stuff. Sorry. -- Robert Hanrahan Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co. ACE user since 1997 "MReed" wrote in message news:14918399.1088690180169.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Since I'm a new AE user, I'll probably have lots of good questions...thanks upfront for the replies... > Now, I have realized that AE is for the most part Allen Bradley driven...since I use more Siemens PLC and Automation controls, does anyone have any Siemens library buile for AE they would be interested in sharing? > Might save me months of rework (then again, that's good job security hahaha)
Valued Contributor
DougBr
Message 5 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 08:01 AM in reply to: MReed
HOPE THIS HELPS THESE WERE CREATED UNDER AC2000i

DOUG B
Valued Contributor
DougBr
Message 6 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 08:06 AM in reply to: MReed
ONE MORE ITEM I FORGOT

THE TEXT FILE HAS THE SIEMENS DATA FOR YOUR
PLC.DAT FILE.

JUST CUT & PASTE AT THE END OF YOUR PLC.DAT FILE

DOUG
Contributor
MReed
Message 7 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 08:16 AM in reply to: MReed
Aren't these the same as the ones supplied in the original library that comes with AE2004?
Contributor
MReed
Message 8 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 08:18 AM in reply to: MReed
I'm hoping the rewards outweigh the start up...without getting into a training I have to struggle thru this on my own (only one in design dept here). Have to learn from the what I think is the simplest of tasks to developing our company standards. Aren't I in for a fun time on my own. I haven't even figured out how to get the title sheet to link thru out the project yet...
*TestSubject_US
Message 9 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 08:38 AM in reply to: MReed
Trust me: they do. I was at the same place you are 7 years ago. It took me about 2 months to get most of the custom symbols drawn and figure out what format I was going to use. After that, I cannot imagine doing a wiring diagram without it. If I ever leave my present place of employment, my new employer will have to buy this software for me to work there. What are you looking for in referencing the linking of titlesheets? I use 2 different titlesheets: 1 for wiring diagrams and one for all mechanical drawings. I have a different titleblock that I use with each titlesheet, but they share much of the same information just in different locations on the drawing. One thing you should realize up front: if you used to do all the diagrams(sheets) in one main dwg file, you will have to give that up. ACE works best if each sheet is in its own dwg file. Stick with it. It does get easier... -- Robert Hanrahan Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co. ACE user since 1997 "MReed" wrote in message news:27383342.1088695117030.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I'm hoping the rewards outweigh the start up...without getting into a training I have to struggle thru this on my own (only one in design dept here). Have to learn from the what I think is the simplest of tasks to developing our company standards. Aren't I in for a fun time on my own. I haven't even figured out how to get the title sheet to link thru out the project yet...
Contributor
MReed
Message 10 of 17 (92 Views)

07-01-2004 09:00 AM in reply to: MReed
Glad to hear it get's easier...I'm really impressed with the automation sure beats manually change every wire number because we add a device, etc.
As far as my title sheets, I'm trying to figure out how to line the information, number, title, etc to each dwg so that the numbering changes automatically as I add sheets, and yes, each schematic is it's own dwg file.
We don't do much mechanical other than panel layouts, and I'm sure I'll get to those questions when the time comes...
thanks for you help
Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.