AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to AE

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
MReed
284 Views, 16 Replies

New to AE

Since I'm a new AE user, I'll probably have lots of good questions...thanks upfront for the replies...
Now, I have realized that AE is for the most part Allen Bradley driven...since I use more Siemens PLC and Automation controls, does anyone have any Siemens library buile for AE they would be interested in sharing?
Might save me months of rework (then again, that's good job security hahaha)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
rstein
in reply to: MReed

I don't think it would be months of re-work. do you have AutoCAD Electrical 2004 or 2005.
If you have AutoCAD Electrical 2005 you now have a nice feature (PLC Module Builder). this is a nice user interface that helps you build your modules rather quickly. you should be able to do 1 in probably about 10 minutes or so. I would think that you could probably do them on the fly as you need them.

Thanks
Rob Stein
Message 3 of 17
MReed

Only using 2004. Not sure if we are going to upgrade at this point or not.
I have been "building on the fly" so I guess for now that's the best way to go...thx
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Welcome to the wonderful world of ACE. Although the start up may seem daunting, the rewards are worth it! I am an Automation Direct man myself so I do not have any Siemens stuff. Sorry. -- Robert Hanrahan Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co. ACE user since 1997 "MReed" wrote in message news:14918399.1088690180169.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Since I'm a new AE user, I'll probably have lots of good questions...thanks upfront for the replies... > Now, I have realized that AE is for the most part Allen Bradley driven...since I use more Siemens PLC and Automation controls, does anyone have any Siemens library buile for AE they would be interested in sharing? > Might save me months of rework (then again, that's good job security hahaha)
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

HOPE THIS HELPS THESE WERE CREATED UNDER AC2000i

DOUG B
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

ONE MORE ITEM I FORGOT

THE TEXT FILE HAS THE SIEMENS DATA FOR YOUR
PLC.DAT FILE.

JUST CUT & PASTE AT THE END OF YOUR PLC.DAT FILE

DOUG
Message 7 of 17
MReed

Aren't these the same as the ones supplied in the original library that comes with AE2004?
Message 8 of 17
MReed

I'm hoping the rewards outweigh the start up...without getting into a training I have to struggle thru this on my own (only one in design dept here). Have to learn from the what I think is the simplest of tasks to developing our company standards. Aren't I in for a fun time on my own. I haven't even figured out how to get the title sheet to link thru out the project yet...
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Trust me: they do. I was at the same place you are 7 years ago. It took me about 2 months to get most of the custom symbols drawn and figure out what format I was going to use. After that, I cannot imagine doing a wiring diagram without it. If I ever leave my present place of employment, my new employer will have to buy this software for me to work there. What are you looking for in referencing the linking of titlesheets? I use 2 different titlesheets: 1 for wiring diagrams and one for all mechanical drawings. I have a different titleblock that I use with each titlesheet, but they share much of the same information just in different locations on the drawing. One thing you should realize up front: if you used to do all the diagrams(sheets) in one main dwg file, you will have to give that up. ACE works best if each sheet is in its own dwg file. Stick with it. It does get easier... -- Robert Hanrahan Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co. ACE user since 1997 "MReed" wrote in message news:27383342.1088695117030.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I'm hoping the rewards outweigh the start up...without getting into a training I have to struggle thru this on my own (only one in design dept here). Have to learn from the what I think is the simplest of tasks to developing our company standards. Aren't I in for a fun time on my own. I haven't even figured out how to get the title sheet to link thru out the project yet...
Message 10 of 17
MReed

Glad to hear it get's easier...I'm really impressed with the automation sure beats manually change every wire number because we add a device, etc.
As far as my title sheets, I'm trying to figure out how to line the information, number, title, etc to each dwg so that the numbering changes automatically as I add sheets, and yes, each schematic is it's own dwg file.
We don't do much mechanical other than panel layouts, and I'm sure I'll get to those questions when the time comes...
thanks for you help
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

PROBABLY, BASED ON JUST A GLANCE AT YOUR REQUEST
I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE ANY OF THEM.

SORRY IF IT WASN'T USEFUL
Message 12 of 17
MReed

That's ok, thanks
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

The titleblock should be no problem. I use 2 different titleblocks: INFO-W (Wiring) and INFO-M(Panels, Enclosures, etc). On your title sheet, you will need to add Attributes that match the lines in the Project Description. For example, let's say in the Project Description that Customer is in LINE1, Description is in LINE2, and Project Number is in LINE3. We will create 3 Attributes with the names CUST, DESC, PROJNO in the location on the titlesheet where you want them to appear. Make a block out of these attributes (I used INFO-W). I would use one of the corners of the titlesheet for my handlepoint (or 0,0 works good to. It will help you automate the inserting of the titleblocks then) In the default.wdt located in C:\Documents and Settings\{YOURNAME}\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2004\R16.0\enu\Support I had to add BLOCK=INFO* so that ACE would know what block had the titleblock info. In this same file, you will tell ACE what each attribute holds. Add CUST=LINE1 DESC=LINE2 PROJNO=LINE3 to default.wdt and save it. You will have to close and then re-open ACE for the changes to take effect. Now if this block(INFO-W) is inserted into your titlesheet, when you click on "Update TBs," Select by Project and select all, ACE will go through every drawing in the project and change all the CUST attributes to whatever was entered in on the Edit screen. The same thing for DESC and PROJNO. If you take advantage of the SHEET and MAXSHEET attributes, it will also renumber the sheets in the order that they are listed in the project dialog box and update them in the titleblock if that attribute was created in the INFO_W block. You would have to add SH=SHEET (for example) to the default.wdt and attribute SH to INFO-W. The only thing you cannot do (yet) is concatenate 2 or more fields, but they are working on it. I hope this helps speed you along... -- Robert Hanrahan Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co. ACE user since 1997 "MReed" wrote in message news:9203507.1088697668602.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Glad to hear it get's easier...I'm really impressed with the automation sure beats manually change every wire number because we add a device, etc. > As far as my title sheets, I'm trying to figure out how to line the information, number, title, etc to each dwg so that the numbering changes automatically as I add sheets, and yes, each schematic is it's own dwg file. > We don't do much mechanical other than panel layouts, and I'm sure I'll get to those questions when the time comes... > thanks for you help
Message 14 of 17
MReed

Just my luck, I dont have that path thru docs and settings to find r16, etc
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Do a search for default.wdt. You should have it somewhere on your computer. That path would have worked with Windows XP Pro on a network computer. I sometimes forget that not everyone uses the most current thing...:) I am assuming that you are using ACE 2004. Try in C:\program files\autodesk\ACADE 2004 and all of its subdirectories. It should be in there. Replace the C:\ drive with whatever drive ACE is installed on. -- Robert Hanrahan Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co. ACE user since 1997 "MReed" wrote in message news:23775135.1088708499398.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Just my luck, I dont have that path thru docs and settings to find r16, etc
Message 16 of 17
MartinLee

You can specify more than one title block drawing in the default.wdt file if you wish. The line looks like this:

BLOCK = BORDER1, BORDER2, BORDER3, BORDER4

I have six different tiltle blocks specified for various purposes.

Martin
Message 17 of 17
testsubject

You can also use wildcards...

Block=Border*

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost