AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new drawings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jmartin
599 Views, 5 Replies

new drawings

I am using Autocad Electrical 2013.  I want to know if it is possible to create a new drawing without it being attached to any project.  I can create the drawing using add new drawing and selecting the acad.dwt.  Then when you try to place a symbol it needs the wd_m file.  I uncheck the box for project settings and say ok.  Then when I try to put in the symbol it can't find the correct path.  Where do you change this path when there is no project file?

jmartin
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jmartin

Hi!

If you already have active project all new drawings will be attach to it.

So you can use drawing1.dwg file (rename it). It opens automaticaly when you open ACE.

Message 3 of 6
testsubject

You can  create a new schematic without it being attached to a project but if you want to use the symbols, the drawing has to have the WD_M.dwg block inserted into it. That block is required for all schematics. That is why you were asked to insert it when you attempted to insert a symbol. Just go ahead and click Yes when asked then you will be able to use the icon menu.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: testsubject

I agree with the response from test.  Also, if you do have a project you can always remove the drawing later.  The wd_m object does need to be attached to the drawing file though.  Top secrete ACAD block.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
Icemanau

Step One -  Click on the 'New Dwg' function under the file tab. Don't use the 'Add New Dwg' as that automatically adds the dwg to the project.

Step Two - Say yes to the WD_TB block. It contains information that Elec uses to find the paths and other information.

Note that you will not be able to do any title block updates and other project related functions. Also, a lot of the error checking routines (duplicate wire numbers/component tags for example) won't work properly.

Step Three - SAVE the file.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
jmartin

I am now using autocad electrical 2014 and not having any problems.  I don't remember what project check box I was getting before, but now I can add a drawing independant of a project by clicking on the big A in upper left, new drawing, acad.dwt, say yes to the wd_m file.  Then can draw all the symbols I want and then save the file under any name in any file location and all works well.  Thanks for your responses.

jmartin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost