AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Autocad Electrical Blocks

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Gary08Controls
2557 Views, 21 Replies

New Autocad Electrical Blocks

Been using AutoCad Electrical for five years and when I need a Parametric or Footprint on a newer product I end up having to make or modify an existing block.  We get the annual upgrade each year, but I find new blocks are not added and I have to merge my library files into the new version to get the blocks I've generated myself.  Does Autodesk update these blocks or come out with newer blocks? I don't see that Autodesk is supporting this product or adding new blocks for newer PLC's and equipment. Am I missing something with the upgrades?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Well....if you are looking for an A-B Logix PLC layout which includes smart blocks, part numbers, and easy to use pull-down I/O selection, check out this website: www.racklayout.com

Message 3 of 22

Thanks, the info was helpful and may save me from having to develop new blocks myself.

Message 4 of 22
leeholl
in reply to: Gary08Controls

Thanks for this post Gary. It is nearly impossible for us (Autodesk) to keep up with manufacturers, and even when we add 100,000's rows of new data to the catalog, it is invariably not the 10 things someone particularly needs. I would love to hear from the ACADE community on their thoughts about improving this problem. 

If we provided a platform where users could add their unique content, would that be something that you would do? 

Do you, or your company have rules or controls n sharing content with the peer community?

How often do you go to manufacturers to get the data sheets and catalog information you need? What is that experience like?

What are the barriers to you creating/adding/editing your own content?

Regards,

Lee

Message 5 of 22
aikorob

Lee,

something that might be benificial for those of us who use AB parts---a 64 bit arcx so that AB's product selection utility will integrate with ACADe.

Some manufacturers provide DXF or DWG files---those are relativly easy to turn into smart blocks--but there are others who only provide a PDF

Message 6 of 22
leeholl
in reply to: aikorob

Are you referring to integartion with the Rockwell eCADWorks configuration tool? Given that is a web based configuration tool, how would you see that integration workflow?

Thanks,

Lee

Message 7 of 22
Gary08Controls
in reply to: leeholl

When making a PLC parametric block I generally go to the manufacturers web site and gather all the wiring data, then look for a similar PLC block already developed and modify it. We went through some autodesk training that was real helpful in this regard. Many times I find better "footprint" blocks on the manufacturers site and easily convert them to smart blocks in ACADE. It really doesn't take to long to make a block. I get lazy or rushed at times and do not take the time to link all the blocks together in the database as I should.  I have no problem sharing any info with other autodesk users. Thanks Lee for your reply. I like the PLC parmetric editor and how you can add new blocks and it's there for the next project. Maybe there could be easier ways to link footprints you add to the schematic and database.

Message 8 of 22
Gary08Controls

Haven't gotten into eCadWorks that much, we are starting to use it for proposals and I can take the printout from that to develop my ACADE drawings. We may look at the synergy between these two products later on.

Gary F Ollett /Senior Project Engineer
Wire to Water, Inc
136 Gazza Blvd
Farmingdale, NY 11735
Phone: 1.631.777.7310
Fax: 1.631.777.7312
Cell: 1.516.790.3638
Message 9 of 22
leeholl

Thanks for the feedback Gary. It is really helpful to understand the pain points so we can be sure we focus on the right solution for our customers. It is also helpful for us to know the processes you use when working with content. 

Do you have any sense for how often you have to create new content (dailiy, weekly, monthly, etc), and having created it, do you then use it repeatedly or do you do a lot of one of? 

Regards,

Lee

Message 10 of 22
aikorob

Lee,

What I was refering too is more for the Panel Layout. Under the footprint selection-->Choice B; there is a button to link with your installed Rockwell ABECAD/eCAD. Before I upgraded to 64bit, this would open a configurator, and then install the appropriate foot print.

I think the lack of a 64bit plugin is more Rockwell/AB's fault.

I am slowly working through the years of "dumb" drawings (and pencil schematics) so I am making at least one new block each week..

I have been asking my vendors if 1. they have a database I can add to the default.mdb---sales guys usually have no problem making up a table of our standard parts for me--then I can associate existing blocks to these parts.

2. request a  DWG for every part I buy--at least that will give me a starting point.

Message 11 of 22
Icemanau

I tend to go to the manufacturers for footprint dwgs for multifunction protection relays.

Once I have them, I add the standard footprint attributes for ACADE and save them for re-use.

I also clean them up before use (Move everything to layer 0, Purge fonts, layers & such. Merge duplicate lines).

I've also had to create schematic blocks for the digital and analog inputs to these devices.

However, the XREF font does not have any blocks to show what the terminals are for.

The font needs some characters to show digital inputs/outputs and analog inputs/outputs, not just the NO/NC contacts.

I tend to save any block I create for potential re-use. This occurs with the majority of the blocks and I have not had to create a new block for a few months now.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 22
leeholl

Thanks for explaining the workflow and problems. The 64-bit ARX module is definitely a Rockwell issue as we have nothing to do with the development of that tool.

I hope I am not over simplifying this, but it sounds like getting content from the manufacturer and adding the ACADE intelligence to the blocks is pretty much part of the job. Clearly we could help by making the process as easy as possible.

Thanks,
Lee

Message 13 of 22
leeholl
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

If I am to mistaken you are in Australia, so I am curious who you major equipment manufacturers are?

Thanks for sharing your workflow. Do you run into many situations where you cannot get the footprint you need?

Regards,
Lee
Message 14 of 22
Icemanau

You are correct that I'm located in Australia.

Most of the protection relays we use are RMS, Reyrolle, Schneider MiCOM & SEL.

Pushbuttons that we use are generally Schneider, AB & IDEC.

Relays used are IDEC, SMITT & Finder.

Terminals would be Wiedmuller.

SEL provide a set of dwgs for each relay when you input the part number on their website.

RMS & Reyrolle have a set of footprints for the different case sizes but nothing for the actual different relays

With Schneider (Used to be Areva until they were brought out), I had to create my own footprints.

Wiedmuller was able to provide a CD full of dwg blocks for their terminals but I had to go through the reseller to get it.

Relays were more difficult as I had to make those footprints to suit.

Pushbuttons are a bit different as I have been using the footprints for the AB type. There is not much difference between the footprints on the front of the panels with the different brands.

We use other brands as the clients request them but those are the main ones we use by default. There isn't that large a group of companies that supply protection relays for HV switchgear.

The general control side (pushbuttons and relays/contactors) have a much larger group of companies to choose from. Most brands seem to be well represented in the parts database but I haven't really looked at them apart from noting the brands are there. As a consequence, I don't know if the footprints are there as well.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 22
Icemanau

Something I just thought of...

Does Autodesk have a site for people to share custom symbols?

If not, would they consider setting up such a site. Sorted into the various verticals with further sub groupings depending on block type, for ease of searching.

This would alos provide Autodesk with a place to aquire the basics for new symbols for inclusion into the various packages.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Message 16 of 22
leeholl

Great idea Brad, and that was one of the questions I led in with. Autodesk does have content portals for Factory Design solution and our AEC products (seek), but not for ACADE. Seems like a great idea though. What do others think? 

Regards,

Lee

Message 17 of 22
scottp

Sounds like a great idea.
Message 18 of 22
aikorob

great idea

Message 19 of 22
Gary08Controls
in reply to: aikorob

Good Idea, How can this be implemented?
Message 20 of 22
bpasqualini

Great idea

Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost