AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neutral position of a 3-pos selector switch.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
huyvu90
5863 Views, 3 Replies

Neutral position of a 3-pos selector switch.

How would you draw a 3-pos selector switch that turns on relay1 when it is in the left position, turns on a relay2 when it is in the middle ( neutral ) position and turns on relay3 when it is in the right position?

Turning on relay 1 and 3 is easy but I'm confused about how to turn on relay 2.  I would need to put a NC contact at the right and left position of the SS and wire them in series.  How would I represent this in a schematic?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Icemanau
in reply to: huyvu90

I use some fairly commmon symbols that do this...

The filled square represents a closed position and come with the various positions filled.

Select the appropriate parent for the first contact and then the required contacts for all the other positions.

These blocks can be modified to use on 2, 4, 5, 6 or more position switches. Currently I have the 2, 3, 4 & 5 position blocks setup as I don't tend to use any more than that.

This stle of switch is also not limited in the number of contacts and positions that can be shown. Just keep adding the required contacts as needed. 

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 4
testsubject
in reply to: huyvu90

This is how I have drawing the 3 position switch that is built from the AB selector switches. This would have two tiers of contact parts.

The first tier is made up of tweo N.O. Contacts.

The second Tier is made up of two N.C. Contacts. The first tier is for the left and right relay. The second tier is for the Middle relay. The terminal numbers are arbitrary to assign unique numbers for termination.

The selector switch symbols allow you to depict the switch position on the symbol (i.e., XOO,OXO, OOX) FOR LEFT , RIGHT , AND MIDDLE.3POS SWITCH.JPG

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 4
Icemanau
in reply to: testsubject

This is how I utilize the blocks I attached in my previous post....

As you can see I only use 3 contacts to operate the three relays and there is no confusion on what the contact position is when the switch is in it's various positions.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost