AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to "auto-rotate" symbols with Symbol Builder

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ZeeKay14
1894 Views, 8 Replies

Need to "auto-rotate" symbols with Symbol Builder

I am using Symbol Builder to populate my symbol library with existing company CAD blocks.

I like how autoCAD Electrical library's original symbols have properties that allows the symbols to rotate according to whether you drop it on a horizontal or vertical wire. 

I was experimenting with the 'Radial / None' option for wire connections, which didn't work the way I hoped.

Then I tried the 'Rotation' option in the 'Block Authoring Palettes - All Palettes' pop up box. I was concerned that it only let the rotation go in the counter-clockwise direction, but went ahead, saved it, and inserted it into the library to test. With no luck, it did not rotate on it's own. I am attaching a screen shot of me using the 'Rotation' function.

Untitled.png

Is there something I am missing with either of those two functions to "auto-rotate" the symbol, or is it a different function altogether? 
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: ZeeKay14

ACADE cheats in that they have two (2) seperate blocks for each component. One drawn in a vertical orientation and one drawn in a horizontal orientation.

The file names for the two blocks are almost exactly the same. The only difference is the first character which changes between V (for vertical blocks) and H (for horizontal blocks).

When you insert a block, ACADE checks the wire you are placing it on, and selects the correct block to deal with the wire.

The second and third characters of the file name are usually the family of the component. The fourth character is either a 1 (for a parent block) or a 2 (for a child block).

The fifth character is another reserved slot for ACADE's use and after that, you can name the block what you like.

Some blocks (Terminals for example) have special names which don't conform to this standard but these are limited in number.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
s.wile
in reply to: ZeeKay14

Since you haven’t responded I'll elaborate a bit more.

You build two blocks as Icemanau said. Their names are exactly the same except for the first letter. One starting with H and the other starting with a V. (Be sure to follow the rest of the naming as stated by Icemanau above)

Now as you move/insert components between horizontal and vertical wires Electrical will recognize the wire orientation and choose the appropriate block.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 4 of 9
dreamweaver04
in reply to: s.wile

This method is working great, however, it appears it may not work when using the command section in the Icon Menu Wizard. Is this due to "parametric build" ?  Or what am I missing?

wd_3unit.jpg

Message 5 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: dreamweaver04

In the Icon Menu, all you do is select one of the two blocks you created. ACADE will automatically do the rotation to match the wire when you insert the block.

As a tip, select the block that matches your current wiring orientation.

The commands are for inserting Multi pole components (EG 3 Pole CB) or other special instances like where the automatic rotation wont work or rotates the part when it shouldn't.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
rhesusminus

Commands, like WD_3UNIT, should work as expected when it comes to horizontal/vertical wires. Can you be more specific in what's not working?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 7 of 9
dreamweaver04
in reply to: rhesusminus

Specifically, the auto-rotate is not working. I have a horizontal and vertical set up. I want to insert the motor starter symbol on the vertical wires. Typically, the system "auto-rotates" the symbol depending on what configuration the wires are. In this case, it inserts fine on the horizontal wires, (and prompts whether to build up or down) but when I insert on the vertical wires, it STILL prompts for build up or down, instead of the expected build left or right.

I checked my names of the symbol file; the horizontal is appropriately named HMS, and the vertical VMS. This is a custom block, so what was missed at creation time that still triggers the default horizontal build regardless of name?    

Message 8 of 9
rhesusminus

Make sur the the connection point attributes are "vertical" as well. They should be named X2TERM## and/or X8TERM##

If you've still got problems it would be nice if you could post the problematic symbol here.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 9 of 9
dreamweaver04
in reply to: rhesusminus

That worked! Thanks for the response. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost