AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help? Have a great idea?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
742 Views, 28 Replies

Need help? Have a great idea?

The AutoCAD Electrical Design Support Systems (DSS) team would like your feedback! Based on user comments, DSS enhanced the AutoCAD Electrical 2006 print and online content by adding:

-- Help for advanced workflows
-- More procedure topics for basic AutoCAD Electrical commands
-- Circuitry and report chapters to our Getting Started Guide
-- The ability to print all or portions of the Help system
-- The Launchpad for finding the AutoCAD Electrical information you need such as FAQs, a link to the newsgroup, and What's New information.

We want to address user needs by finding out what additional changes to the Help and Getting Started Guide would make the most impact for you. For example:

-- Are there particular areas of functionality you'd like to see covered in Help?

-- Are there workflows or procedures that you would like more advanced Help on?

-- Are there areas that you'd like the Getting Started Guide to address?

-- What did you find useful in the old VIA tutorial that you'd like to see in the Help or Getting Started Guide?

With your feedback, please provide your user level: beginner, intermediate, advanced.

We look forward to hearing what you'd like to see in AutoCAD Electrical 2007 and beyond!

Thanks,
Heather Schwartz
Autodesk/AutoCAD Electrical DSS
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

How about a turorial on how to build custom components that doesn't pre-suppose the the user has experience with ACADE? I am a newbie, and until I took the class fom my local vendor was convinced my company threw their money away. If I had been at a smaller company farther from the distributor training offices, this software may well have found its way to the shelf forever.
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous

Thanks for your feedback, njineermike.

As mentioned in other threads I'm taking steps to get what users want/need in the documentation for ACADE but I cannot do so unless I have feedback from our users. Please keep the suggestions coming!

~Heather Schwartz
Autodesk/ACADE DSS
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous

Heather and Nate,

I would to see in the PLC database file editor a picture of the block being chosen without having to create a bitmap file and view it through the settings. In having to view it through the settings dialog box it takes to much time to view it there and then go back over to select the terminal type. (all while hoping I have chosen the correct terminal type from the descriptions.)
Currently I edit or create my PLC Modules by opening the access file. Then I have to my via book to see what direction I want to insert my wires.This will be a great help to everyone.

Thanx,

mac
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous

Heather. Please can you add a section on toolbar customisation. I have been using Acad in its various guises for fifteen years. I have managed to keep up with most of the developments but the new toolbar customising routine is doin' my head in.
Another stumbling block, ecspecially in Electrical, is for the new user... can you add an index of your default report attribute names and what the appropriate att prompt may be. Al
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous

Good Day Heather,

Intermediate User, updated from CIMLOGIC to ACE2004 and now onto ACE2005.

I would like to see from the OLD CIMLOGIC Toolbox/WD manual is Chapter 7 Component Symbol Libraries. This was very detailed, explained what each and every attribute did. This would be most helpful with some of the new attributes and what they do. Much more printed documentation on PLC database and generation of PLC's for AutoCAD2005 and up.

An overall Printed User manual for ACE200x would be ideal. Autodesk seems to have one for AutocadVanilla...
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous

Hello KirkPaul,

Thank you for your feedback. It appears that you do not have ACE2006, is this correct? In ACE2006, you can find the Symbol Library content using the 'Print Autocad Electrical Help' functionality. Right-click on 'Symbol Libraries' and select 'Print.' Select to print the selected heading and all subtopics. All of the symbol library content will then be printed, including information on naming conventions, attributes, how to create new library symbols, modifying symbols, and more.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback.

Heather Schwartz
Autodesk/ AutoCAD Electrical (DSS)
Message 8 of 29
JeffatSJE

AutoCAD 2006 Tutorial Videos
Shawn Gilmour of Autodesk recorded a few quick AutoCAD 2006 video tutorials with audio. These videos were recorded in the Microsoft wmv format and can be played in the Windows Media Player.

Introduction to the AutoCAD 2006 CUI Editor Link
Introduction to the AutoCAD 2006 Workspaces Link
Creating a Toolbar with the AutoCAD 2006 CUI Editor Link
Creating a Flyout Toolbar with the AutoCAD 2006 CUI Editor Link
Introduction to the AutoCAD 2006 Enterprise CUI files Link

I found these links and files to be informative. Why not do the same for various ACE functions. I cant speak for everyone but I learn by example. So show some examples of how to use things like the Black box builder, Layering, Reports, BOM, Database Maintenance, Panel Footprint block management, PLCIO block management. As far as management here is an idea! put all the blocks into a database as blobs and when picked the blob would be inserted as a block and annotated with the partno. cat. mfg. This would be Ideal for managing schematic and footprint blocks as well as data sheets and links to MRP packages.
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous

I would like to have more information on how to manipulate the Bill of materials. I do not see a lot of info on how to change different settings in the help menu.

Example. How do you set up a excel format that you can go back to over and over again.

Example: More info on how to Modify spreadsheet data.

Pictures are very helpful.

I think the bill of material needs a lot of attention.
Message 10 of 29
Anonymous

jeff where can I find those tutorials?
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous

Now that is a great idea!
Message 12 of 29
JeffatSJE

I found them through the our subscription center home page. There is a link called Between the lines. Scroll down a little bit and you should see them. I think you will need to have the subscription service to view these.
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous

Heather,

JeffatICS was right. I viewed the WAV files made by shawn gilmore and they are a great way to instruct online. This will be a great help in conveying the new and existing features in Autocad 2006 E to both new and old users. You really should set up Autocad 2006 E instruction up with this tool. Thanks jeff it was great.

MACDOG
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous

I would like to see the right click copy and paste funtion in the help menu.
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous

THE HELP FILES COULD BE IMPROVED BY ACTUALLY GIVING ALL THE INFORMATION THAT'S NEEDED TO COMPLETE A TASK. FOR EXAMPLE, MANY OF THE HELP FILES WILL TELL YOU TO EXECUTE A COMMAND OR USE SOME UTILITY, BUT THEY DON'T TELL YOU HOW TO GET TO THE COMMAND OR UTILITY. THE ACADE 2006 "GETTING STARTED" MANUAL DOES THIS ON PAGE 2 WHEN IT SAYS "USE THE INTEGRATED DESIGN SUPPORT SYSTEM TO ACCESS THE ONLINE DOCUMENTATION" , BUT IT DOESN'T TELL YOU WHERE THIS IS , HOW TO GET IT STARTED, OR EVEN WHAT IT IS. I COULD NOT FIND ANY REFERENCE TO IT IN "HELP" OR ONLINE
Message 16 of 29
DKLeeUS

How can I add Terminal Styles to Black Box Builder (0 replies)
Posted by: dkleeus
Date: Sep/02/05 - 16:04 (GMT)
When you enter BBB>Wire Connections; 5 terminal styles are listed with 5 empty spaces. I want to add a terminal style. I am assuming that since there are 5 empty spaces the user can add styles. I looked in ACE help and searched the forum.

Can we document this functionality?

Can anyone post help now?
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous

Hello
I'm current using the 30 day evaluation, whilst waiting for IT to purchase our new ACADE 2006.

Whilst most functionality is becoming clear, I'm having difficulty with terminals, more specifically jumpers and how to implement them, if it is indeed possible. Help is good, but more detailed examples of 'How to...' would be great. We can't all get two days Autodesk training, more is the pity.

Regards,
Roger Perkins
UK
Message 18 of 29
uncoolperson

more api documentation... what's there is awsome, but what isn't there, well it isn't there and it'd be cool to have it there.
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous

I'm responsible for what content finds its way into the API help file. Pass
suggestions my way.
thanks,
Nate.
Message 20 of 29
Anonymous

Heather,
I'm reviewing AE 2006 on a non internet machine and found that under the "Add or edit catalog record" reference tab the database field "wblknam" is not listed.
I am getting more comfortable with the help system.
Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost