AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Cross Reference

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
robertjkinsella
578 Views, 2 Replies

Multiple Cross Reference

Hi, this is my first post and I was just wondering if someone could possibly help me please?

I am relatively new to autocad electrical (2013) and this may be strait forward answer but I'm stumped.

Here goes. I recently opened an old document as there was a few amendments to add.

I added the amendments and for some reason it didn't update with the cross reference parent  number automatically I.E 2-5-B.

I then finished the other amendments and tried the Update / Retag  button on the whole project but for some reason I have ended up with three lots of cross referencing next to every component and below every parent device.

I have tried running the title block update to re-organise the pages so the program knows exactly where the components are but all that did was leave me with a load of question marks I.E ??-2-E,??-2-E,3-2-E and still three lots of Reference points under the parent component.

some other points I just thought I'd mention in case they help. The document is in 1 location, the vault is turned off, AC Electrical 13 is the program and I have attached a copy of a screen shot.

Thanks for your time

Hope you can help.

Bob.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

The first suspect to me appears to be that the drawing properties are not properly set up for tagging devices.  With an IEC style border you should have X-zones or X-Y zones defined in drawing properties so the software can determine the exact location of the device to assign the propper ID or tag.  You should also have a valid tagging format defined on the Component tab of drawing preoperties.  This should all be done in your drawing template that you begin each drawing with, so you don't have to define these for each drawing separately.

I have attached 3 screen captures that illustrate how I typically set up my drawing properties for IEC style drawings. I know that DIN/IEC hasn't typically employed wire numbers in the past, but they can be very helpful for troubleshooting.  I use a format of %S.%N with suffixes of .1 .2 .3, etc.  So wire number 2.4.2 is located on sheet 2 in zone 4, and it is the second wire from the top of zone 4.  I see this wire number in the panel and I know exactly where to find it in the project drawings.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3

Hi Doug, sorry for the delay in replying. It seams the main problem was with the vault. For some strange reason it was reading from two separate locations even though I have only selected one file path for cross referencing Smiley Frustrated. I must however take the opportunity to thank you for the tips and pointers you have shown me for setting up the page. As I said in my original test I'm new to AutoCAD so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards

Bob. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost