AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiline attributes

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
galashkina
1842 Views, 9 Replies

Multiline attributes

Multi-attribute values are not displayed in the dialog «Insert / Edit Component».

In the dialog «Enhanced Attribute Editor» multi-attribute value is displayed correctly.

In AutoCAD Electrical multiline attributes are not used?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rhesusminus
in reply to: galashkina

You are absolutely right.

AutoCAD Electrical does not currently support multi-line attributes.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 10
drathak
in reply to: rhesusminus

@rhesusminus wrote:

You are absolutely right.

AutoCAD Electrical does not currently support multi-line attributes.

Well...it does and it doesn't.  The option for making multiline attributes is in the Symbol Builder.  But the Edit Component dialog boxes don't really let you make use of them.  You can still use the advanced attribute editor when needed.

I've actually been doing this for our terminal block footprints.  Rather than having a really long string when there are two wires on a terminal point I wanted them to stack up.  I made those attributes multiline and it works.  Sort of.

When first inserted from the Terminal Editor or modified, the text comes in as one long string.  I've tried using a carriage return as the separator, but it didn't recognize that.  So I have to edit them manually.  The other nagging problem is that when first inserted or edited, the advanced attribute editor doesn't see them as multiline.  After doing a swap block it works fine.  Weird, huh?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 4 of 10
drathak
in reply to: drathak

Only three attachments?  What a load of crap.  Here is the fourth showing the final edited version.  This is a bit of a hassle to get what I want though.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 5 of 10
abtech977
in reply to: drathak

To set up an existing block's attribute as multiline attribute, follow the next way:
1. Open drawing with block which you want to edit
2. Insert --> Manage attributes
3. In "block attribute manager" menu click "select block" --> on the active drawing select the block for editing and press "ENTER"

4.Click "settings..." --> Block Attribute settings menu --> check "Boundary Width" --> OK
5. In the list of block's attributes select the TAGS of the required attribute and click "EDIT"

6. In "Edit attribute" menu check "multiple lines". Click browse button on the "Default" line.

7. "Text formatting" window opened. Set the boundary width of the text string by "left mouse button" and click OK. As well you can set the "boundary width" in "text options" of the "edit attribute".
8. After finish of editing close the "block attribute manager" menu by OK.
9. On the active drawing double click for the edited block.
10. The Enhanced attribute editor is opened. Select the attribute tag was just edited.

11. At the end of "Value" line, click browse button.

12. "Text formatting" window with attribute value opened. Now the text is multiline. Adjusting of the window width, you can set number of lines you need.
13. Editing of the multiline value possible in text formatting window only.

Other way to create new multiline attribute is "Symbol Builder option".
Just don't forget to set up for new attribute these options:

1. "Boundary width" must be not=0. set it, for example, 1 inch or 20mm. It will be length of a text string.

2. Set "Multiple line"=yes.

Message 6 of 10
galashkina
in reply to: abtech977

Is the value of a multi-line attribute displayed correctly in the report?

Message 7 of 10
abtech977

To Ms. galashkina

This procedure works for drawing only. Multiline attribute not supported in reports. Do you have any idea how organize multiline attribute for reports?
Message 8 of 10
galashkina

@abtech977 wrote:
To Ms. galashkina

This procedure works for drawing only. Multiline attribute not supported in reports. Do you have any idea how organize multiline attribute for reports?

Unfortunately no

Message 9 of 10
abtech977

In "Table Generator Setup" select "Define widths" --> Set column widths less then string size -->OK --> Click "Put on Drawing" -->Autocad generates table with multiline text if necessary. See pictures attached. But if you saved report to file, for example to EXCEL, you still need use the WRAP function. 

Message 10 of 10
galashkina

Thank you for your advice!

But this is not what I need.

You have shown how to display a single attribute line in several report lines.

And I need to display an attribute that contains several lines in the report.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost