AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-user database access from a network

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tfite
407 Views, 5 Replies

Multi-user database access from a network

Assuming that a project had a number of users that each had been assigned a number of drawings in a project, how does the scratch database get updated? Is the database locked by a single user, or can multiple users write to the project database over a network?

I have a customer that pointed out how SQL Server allows multi-user access to database tables, where Access does not.

Thoughts? This customer was really down on ACADE when he found out that Access was the DB of choice....
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
testsubject
in reply to: tfite

MS Access allows multi-user access to the database. I do not know where your customer got his info. There is a problem when reports are modified but that would not affect how ACE uses the database, AFAIK.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 6
TomJ

Access isn't an "enterprise strength" dbms, we are wrestling with the same thing.
Message 4 of 6
Jay Mackey

My understanding is that Access mdb's are OK for up to 25-30 simultaneous users in general, although these numbers may have been a theoretical max and apply to heavy intranet or internet usage. Sure, that is not 'enterprise' level, but it is fine for any electrical design project that I've ever heard of. Lot's of apps use .mdb's internally, including at least one (if not all) of the major competitors to ACADE, and an app that I've used a lot called Parts and Vendors, a multi-user BOM database application. "Enterprise" would generally refer to 100's of simultaneous users.

That said, your milage will certainly vary depending on how efficiently and intelligently the application uses the .mdb.

Incidentally, I doubt you will ever see any ECAD systems use SQL Server any time soon. That would like swatting a fly with a sledge-hammer, even if it is a really light, well-balanced, super-duper, multi-user one. That just means the expense of licensing it for use in your app would be greater than your profit margin. Of course, that might not be a problem with ACADE. :0
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

The default install is that the project scratch database files are kept on the user's local machine. When multiple users are working on a common project, each user's copy of AutoCAD Electrical maintains its own up-to-date copy of the scatch file locally. So, under this install condition, by default, there is never more than one user accessing the project scratch database file. "tfite" wrote in message news:992982.1090861923395.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > Assuming that a project had a number of users that each had been assigned a number of drawings in a project, how does the scratch database get updated? Is the database locked by a single user, or can multiple users write to the project database over a network? > > I have a customer that pointed out how SQL Server allows multi-user access to database tables, where Access does not. > > Thoughts? This customer was really down on ACADE when he found out that Access was the DB of choice....
Message 6 of 6
Jay Mackey

You also have to check a box to make the scratch database sharable. This is in Misc. Project Settings. Press the Misc. Settings button on the main Project dialog.

- Jay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost