AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multi level terminals

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
driesterer
5627 Views, 28 Replies

multi level terminals

Where is the best place to start with multi-level terms? How do I assign wire numbers to each level. I am still not sure what this program is calling "upper" and "Lower" or to "top" and "bottom". Where is the best place to do this?
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29

If you are using a terminal symbol that keeps the same wire number on both
sides, and you have a wire connected to both sides, the wire number will be
the same. Be sure you are not choosing a schematic terminal symbol that has
a 99 and 100 next to it. This type of terminal forces a wire number change
across it. In TSE if you see two wires on one side of a terminal and none
on the other, you can move one to the other side using the toggle wire
destination tool at the bottom of the TSE. The only time there should be a
wire number on either side of a terminal is if there is indeed a wire
connected to that side.

wrote in message news:5880022@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Doug,
Quick question on terminals. When I select and insert a terminal, how do I
get it to keep the same wire # on both sides of the term?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 22 of 29
driesterer
in reply to: driesterer

I am using the terminal with the wire number above it. When I insert it on top of an existing wire that has a wire number, it adds a new wire number to the down stream side of the new terminal. When I have a term at the end of a wire and add wire to connect to a component, it does not carry the wire number across the terminal.
Message 23 of 29

I cannot be sure what is going on without seeing the drawing. In the
meantime, double-click one of your terminal symbols and check the block
name. It should be HT0W01, HT0W02, HT0W03, HT0W04, or HT0W05. Also check
your project properties to be sure you don't have the box checked to force a
new wire number for each wire in a network. This box should not be checked.
See attached.

wrote in message news:5880311@discussion.autodesk.com...
I am using the terminal with the wire number above it. When I insert it on
top of an existing wire that has a wire number, it adds a new wire number to
the down stream side of the new terminal. When I have a term at the end of a
wire and add wire to connect to a component, it does not carry the wire
number across the terminal.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 24 of 29
driesterer
in reply to: driesterer

You nailed it. In the Project Properties, under Wire Numbers, ON PER WIRE BASIS was checked. I unchecked it and the numbers stay the same on both sides of the terminals. I cannot wait for the book.
Dennis
Message 25 of 29

Glad to help Dennis.

wrote in message news:5881371@discussion.autodesk.com...
You nailed it. In the Project Properties, under Wire Numbers, ON PER WIRE
BASIS was checked. I unchecked it and the numbers stay the same on both
sides of the terminals. I cannot wait for the book.
Dennis

Doug McAlexander

Message 26 of 29
robbm2k
in reply to: dougmcalexander

doug,

i've been working through your suggestions in this post, i'm using what looks like the same 4point terminal in the example picture where all 4 connections are jumpered internally, so i edited the terminal to be 4 levels with 1 wire connection point on each level (I then copied that block property to every terminal on the list, so they're all the same). I've been associating terminals and keeping each to a max of 4 connections on my own (even though it allows 😎 Some terminals are showing up as highlighted yellow and i cannot find anywhere what that means...

In short terms, I have schematics where the common power wires may have wires connected via DOTs on a ladder bus, and the same wire # used on single terminals for devices elsewhere in the schematics. I don't care which levels the wires are connected to or which terminals are sharing which wires, i just want a total count for how many termination points i have for each given wire number and be able to set up the terminal block layout based on that requirement.

any thoughts?

Message 27 of 29
robbm2k
in reply to: robbm2k

one other question as well, when i have it working correctly, i then have the correct layout with the exact number of terminals i want, but i'm not sure how to get that list of terminals on the layout exported to a CSV file. When i run a schematic report, it shows every listing of each terminal, without taking into account the association i've done in the TSE...

Message 28 of 29
laucha13
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hello Doug,

Thanks a lot for your answer, it is the first clear explanation about terminals.

I'm starting to use them and I'm having troubles trying to represent jumped connections in a terminal strip.

For exemple on the attached files we can see AutoCad consider wires between TB04-1 and TB04-2 as another connection (terminal number is increased) when in real word we know that this wire is a jumper on the terminal strip.

So how can I indicate to AutoCad that this wire is a jumper and should not be taken in account in terminal connections?

Thanks you.

Message 29 of 29
dougmcalexander
in reply to: laucha13

You can use the same method I explain at the link below to show a physical connection from one terminal to another, so the wire number is passed along, yet the connection doesn't appear on a wire list (because it is a metal jumper, not a wire).  Think of the Create/Edit Wire Types list as a list of conductors.  They could be wires, jumper-bars, or even pipes that carry fluid or gas.  The latter can be used for hydraulic and pneumatic diagrams that you include in your project.

If you need to add the terminal jumper to the BOM you can assign via AEJUMPER, or you can add the jumper as a Multiple Catalog entry under one of the terminals, or insert a footprint to represent the jumper.

http://www.ecadconsultant.com/tips.html#Terminal_Bus

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost