AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a catalog entry from one catalog to another

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
DHarris
515 Views, 5 Replies

Move a catalog entry from one catalog to another

The Company I work at has two catalogs, one with all components, and one with only components that we commonly use. is it possible to move components between these two catalog databases within autocad electrical?

Thankyou in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hello,

We do support the 2nd database, and also switch in between.

You just need to set the 2nd database in the project properties, and switch in the Catalog Browser.

2ndDatabase.png

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance
Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical

Message 3 of 6

I understand that this is possible, and have implemented 2 databases.

we are currently in the step of customizing the databases.

what we would like to do is

1) copy our created components from the "commonly used" database to the "all components" database.

2) be able to add new components to both "commonly used" and "all components" databases at the same time .

3) Delete multiple entries at once from the "commonly used" database, to keep it compacted to necessary components for faster searching

are these things possible?

Message 4 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: DHarris

First of all, BACK UP the two databases in case of problems.

To copy custom content from the Commonly used database to the all database, try using the migration utlity and selecting the two databases.

Just remember to select the commonly used database as the source and MERGE the two.

Just select the CUSTOM option at the top of the migration utility and then jest select the catalog lookup checkbox.

Choose the Merge/Overwrite option, the two db files and let it run.

In theory, this should copy the new entries from the Commonly used DB to the All DB.

As for adding new components to both db's, I don't think that can be done. You may be limited to entering the data twice or if there is a large number of components, then you may be better off placing them all in the commonly used db and then merging the two using the Migration tool.

Going from the All db to the Commonly used DB may be more of a problem. Microsoft Access MAY let you do a copy and paste from one DB to another, you may just have to try it.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
DHarris
in reply to: Icemanau

Thank you!

Would Access be necessary for deleting multiple entries without having to go into the editor and press delete for each one?

For the record, I'm running AutoCad Electrical 2011

Message 6 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: DHarris

ACADE uses the Access DB format for the catalog tables.

This means that you can use access to open the catalog and make changes.

For example, adding several new components to different tables or deleteing component entries or even tables.

I will again say that whatever you do, BACK UP the catalog db before you start. It may save you a lot of work.

Access will also allow you to compact and repair the DB if required.

However, having Access is not required to edit the db, you can use the ACADE tools to do so.

I have also successfully opened and edited the a copy of the DB using Libre Office's DB program. (much prefer the MS Access though)

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost