AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing WD_M.dwg

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
22322 Views, 21 Replies

missing WD_M.dwg

I had a hard disk crash and had to install AutoCAD Electrical 2007 on a new laptop. When I open a new drawing or a drawing that I created with it before and try to do any electrical functions lik "insert component", I get an Alert that says

Special block WD_M" needs to be added to this drawing for full compatibility with the AutoCAD Electrical application software and ustilities. There is a block to check to force this drawings config settings to match the project settings. There is a button to selec that it is OKAY to insert this non-visible block now. When I select the button, it opens a window and indicates that the file was not found and lists the directories it searched.

I have searched my computer, the install CDs, and the internet for a fle of this name that I can copy. I don't know enough about the inner workings to know where this comes from or what exactly it is for.

If I open a demo file that came with 2007, I can use the electrical tools just fine.

Any ideas of how I can recover from this?

I am running Windows 7 and understand it is not supported.... It seems to run ok though other than this issue. Are there clearly problems running it in Windows 7? If so, what about running it in a Virtual XP Mode window?

Thanks for any help.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you ever resolve this? I would say that something did not install
properly if you do not have a wd_m.dwg block. This is installed with the
library symbols. Did any of them install? They would usually be in folders
under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Autodesk\Acade
2010\Libs. What library set(s) did you select to install, i.e. jic, iec etc.

You might try a Repair on the installation. In Windows, select the Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, select the specific AutoCad Electrical version,
and select Change/Remove. From the AutoCAD Electrical dialog, select Repair
or Reinstall.

Pat Murnen

wrote in message news:6341888@discussion.autodesk.com...
I had a hard disk crash and had to install AutoCAD Electrical 2007 on a new
laptop. When I open a new drawing or a drawing that I created with it
before and try to do any electrical functions lik "insert component", I get
an Alert that says

Special block WD_M" needs to be added to this drawing for full compatibility
with the AutoCAD Electrical application software and ustilities. There is a
block to check to force this drawings config settings to match the project
settings. There is a button to selec that it is OKAY to insert this
non-visible block now. When I select the button, it opens a window and
indicates that the file was not found and lists the directories it searched.

I have searched my computer, the install CDs, and the internet for a fle of
this name that I can copy. I don't know enough about the inner workings to
know where this comes from or what exactly it is for.

If I open a demo file that came with 2007, I can use the electrical tools
just fine.

Any ideas of how I can recover from this?

I am running Windows 7 and understand it is not supported.... It seems to
run ok though other than this issue. Are there clearly problems running it
in Windows 7? If so, what about running it in a Virtual XP Mode window?

Thanks for any help.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

I have this EXACT same problem... Is there a fix??

Message 4 of 22
PatMurnen_Adsk

Each library that you select to install has a wd_m.dwg file. So if there isn't one in any of the library folders then the install is not complete and you should repair or reinstall. If the wd_m.dwg is in the folder but you are getting a message that it isn't found when you run a command then the project's library path is not pointing to a folder that contains the wd_m.dwg. Make sure the project has the appropriate library paths. Right click on the project name in Project Manger and select Properties. On the Project Settings tab expand the Schematic Libraries section and make sure the path is in it.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

I have the same problem.

I have already looked in all of the different library folders as well as repair and reinstall from the the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel. I have not been able to use any of the electrical features, but I am able to use the "Vanilla" ACAD no problem. Are there any other recommendations to fix this problem? It also gives me an error message which says :

Error: Cannot locate wd.env File

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

I managed to map the wd.env file from the older version of acade 2005. It seems to be working now but it seems to be a temporary fix. Are there any cons to using an wd.env file from an older version of acade? (Currently using acade 2006)

Message 7 of 22
PatMurnen_Adsk

The disadvantage to using an old wd_m.dwg is that it may not have all the necessary attributes on it. Many settings have been added since 2005.

To all having this problem -

1. what library set did you install at installation, i.e. JIC, IEC, JIS, etc?

2. What is the value in the Schematic libraries section of the Oroject Settings tab of Project Proeprties? (right-click on your project name in Project Manager and pick Properties)

The location of the libraries depends on whether you are a standalone installation or network. It also depends on your operating system. For a standalone Windows XP, libraries are installed at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Autodesk\Acade {version}\Libs\{specific library}

This path needs to be in the Schematic Libraries section of the Project Settings. Each of the libraries includes a wd_m.dwg.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Maybe you installed in a different root. What was the previous windows you had?

If it wasn't 7 it has different roots.

I solved this situation In the project manager.

-Right click on the project name(not the files).

- click on properties

-go to project settings

-unfold schematics libraries

-pick on add

-click "browse"  (here automatically sends you to the libs path, you just have to choose the one you prefer.

-Maybe you have to update your schematic icon menu file (ACE_IEC_MENU.DAT) search it and link it.

rebuild your project and done.

That worked for me.

the same way to do with the panel stuff

Sorry for my english I'm non native english speaker.

Ernesto Fraga

Montevideo - Uruguay

ACADE 2010

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

By the way.

For new projects I recomend you to make a new project starting from the scratch

Regards.

Ernesto Fraga

Montevideo - Uruguay

ACADE 2010

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

I finally found the wd.env and wd_m files. We are using a network license of ACADE. They were located on our server along with the aedata and libs folder which I couldn't locate on my local drives. I guess the shared files were all dumped on the server on install. The connections must have been severed when our server was having technical difficulties. It seems to be working ok now. I have added the server files to the TOOLS>OPTIONS>Support File Search Path list. The only weird thing is that on startup the error message for finding the wd_m file comes up and when OK is clicked it seems to find it ok. Thank you everyone for all your help.

Message 11 of 22
dougmcalexander

Electrical searches for the WD_M.dwg file in the library folder path assigned to each project.  Since you are networked, double-check that the path listed in your active project's properties actually exists.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

I have a similar problem, though in my case I believe it is caused by the fact that the person that made the file is not using the same version of ACADE that I am.  The creator of the file (newly created, we are using it as a template) uses AutoCAD 2016 LT, while I use AutoCAD Electrical 2016.

When I create a new project, I start with his template and use "Save As" to start the new project files.  When I try to add the electrical components, the window for adding the WD_M block comes up, but then when I click "OK" the error pops up saying that it cannot find it.

I know very little about the file structure and saving methodologies of AutoCAD, so could someone please guide me through fixing this issue?

Message 13 of 22
dougmcalexander

As someone who has used the software since 1997, I advise that you create a template specifically for AutoCAD Electrical drawings, complete with all layers and line types. I even add my most common wire types. Of course click Drawing Properties and insert the WD_M block. Configure the drawing properties as desired. These are the design rules the Automation follows. Never use AutoCAD Purge. Purge using the purge option in Project Utilities. That is a safe purge created specifically for AutoCAD Electrical. It will only purge unused blocks. AutoCAD Electrical is attribute and layer driven so it is important to leave layers intact once configured.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

As a follow up to this, I just tried to make a new file and add the WD_M file and it told me that it cannot find it.  This is a new problem since the last time I tried to make a new file.  I normally work on updates to files so I am not running into this problem very often.  The program is stored locally on my computer, with the files I am working on being on a central server.  So all of these WD_M type files shouldnt be moving around on me.

Where should the files be located at?  I am thinking in the 'roaming app data' folder, but I dont want to link to a file and then break everything because it was the wrong one.

Message 15 of 22
PatMurnen_Adsk

The library symbols are installed by default in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Acade {version}\Libs with the standard below this, for example IEEE, IEC_61617, NFPA, etc. They can be shared on a network drive though so you will need to determine where they are actually installed. 

When AutoCAD Electrical inserts a library symbol, including the WD_M block it looks in a number of folders in a certain order. The active AutoCAD Electrical project is the main thing that controls this. In Project Manager, right-click on the active project and click Properties. On the Project Settings tab expand the Schematic Libraries. Make sure the path to the library symbols is correct for your setup and installation. Do the same for the Panel Footprint Libraries. You can list multiple folders. The program will search for a symbol in the order listed.

So if you are using projects from other people, the folders may be different which may require you to change them to point to where your libraries are installed.

You can set a default library path in the wd.env environment file (See Help topic http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACAD_E/2017/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-21208EC0-9BCB-49D5-8E40-C59EA82FE...) then you can use the Default button on the Project Settings dialog.

Regards,

Pat Murnen 

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

This is happening for a brand new file, even outside of a project. When I look in an existing project (one that is still not allowing me to add the WD_M file) it shows what I think to be the correct folders and library locations.
Message 17 of 22
PatMurnen_Adsk

If the drawing is not part of the active project either AutoCAD Electrical won't know where to look for the libraries or it will use the active project's values. I would recommend always having the drawing you are working on part of the active project. If adding it to the project doen'st resolve it can you post a screen capture image of the alert? That way I can see where it is looking for the symbol. I assume you checked to make sure the WD_M.DWG file is actually in the library folder?

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

Adding the file to a project did not seem to help.  I did search throught the first few places, the one in appdata/roaming did not contain WD_M.dwg, however, in the libs/jic125 and similar the file DID exist.

Attached is the error dialog picture.

This help is very appreciated.

Message 19 of 22
dougmcalexander

There has to be an issue related to the library or libraries that the project points to not being available. I see multiple versions of AutoCAD Electrical referenced in the error report, so I highly suspect that the project reference a library path that no longer exists.

Doug McAlexander

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous

For my test project, I went in and deleted the list under schematics libraries and re-entered the 2016 locations. That worked here. I dont know how it lost the ability to function recently, since only two weeks ago, I never had this problem. Where can I find a complete list of the local file locations so that I can make sure that I get them all taken care of, as well as have a place to reference to start a new project from scratch and get rid of this problem altogether?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost